eBay Fraud on PK1?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I was one of the early bidders on CatDaddy's Photon King 1.

This is a very disturbing eMail I just received, is this a joke or should I report it to eBay as fraud. I'm pretty certain it did not come from PK [unless he uses a handle of redneckraven]?
Good Day, Sorry for disturbing you,

I have just noticed on eBay that you are looking for a
SUREFIRE Photon King

I have a new one for sale and I am willing to negociate the price.

If you are interested please don`t hesitate to contact me.

If you are not interested I am sorry for bothering you.

Thank You for reading my mail!!

Have a Pleasant Day!!
--------------------

Question from: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Title of item: SUREFIRE Photon King 1 LED Flashlight
Seller: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Starts: Jan-15-04 21:17:01 PST
Ends: Jan-25-04 21:17:01 PST
Price: Currently $1,005.00

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Um, let's see....let me think long and hard about this one...

FRAUD!

I doubt PK would ever sell his....I highly doubt it.....

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'd definately report it.

pk doesn't seem much like a redneck...
he'd probably eat something with a red neck though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
OK ... I replied to his email:

I might be interested, can you tell me a little more about the Photon King 1.

Is it NIB or opened?

If it is opened do you still have the original warranty paperwork?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
We dont need 2 threads on this, so i'll continue here...

I got the same email, and i replied thusly:

Hi there
> I am very much interested in acquiring a brand new
> SureFire Photon King from you.
> Please let me know how much and how to pay. Waiting with
> paypal ready! Sincerley
> Ka

and i just got the following reply :

Der sir

The price is 950 euro including shipping taxes.

Interested ?

Bargain Pice! Now to ask him for some photos....

LukeK

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif This will be entertaining.

nybble

Newly Enlightened
Check out http://www.scamorama.com/ for inspiration on how to deal with scammers. Click on some of the links on the right for some pretty long and funny email conversations with email scammers.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'd be careful what you guys say or don't say. You are already accusing someone of fraud, without knowing for sure. It could turn out that you're guilty of liable and this person is guilty of nothing. We can all assume he/she does not have a PK1 to sell, but are any of you really sure?

paulr

Flashaholic
We all know what a PK1 is. PK says only two of them were made, and that scarcity is part of what makes the light so expensive and desirable. This other guy seems to have several for "sale". Therefore one or the other of them is guilty of fraud, and I don't think it's PK.

Greta

Flashaholic
Well... here is the first clue that this is pure 100% FRAUD... the PK1 is NOT a Surefire! Sure, it was made by Surefire and was given to CPF by someone who is associated with Surefire but the PK1 is not a Surefire production piece therefore it really can't be called a "Surefire".

Second... this individual evidently didn't read the description of the light or can't understand English very well. From Catdaddy's description on ebay...

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of only two ever made! the other one is owned by the master flashlight designer himself, Mr. Paul Kim of Surefire. This is a rare chance to on a prototype design that will never go into production. It is signed (engraved) with his famous initials "PK".

[/ QUOTE ]

This may not be ebay fraud... but it is definately PK1 fraud!

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Good points Sasha.

It is nearing or past Midnite in Europe so we might have to wait until tomorrow to see the email responses kakster and I receive.

The only plausible "innocent" explanation I can see is if he has a Surefire M6 and looking at the eBay Photo thinks it is the same thing ... highly unlikely and still would not explain the price gouging.

Darell

Flashaholic
And guess what? There really is only ONE PK1. Not even two. So in answer to Ray's question: Yes. We know for sure that there isn't another one to sell.

Crazy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

**EDIT! My bad. There of course ARE two PK-1's in the world. Sorry Ray and others... At one point I was pretty sure that the OTHER PK-1 had been renamed, but I have been corrected by the only guy who REALLY knows the answer.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
And guess what? There really is only ONE PK1. Not even two. So in answer to Ray's question: Yes. We know for sure that there isn't another one to sell.

Crazy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I missed the part where it was confirmed that only 1-PK1 existed. I remember last year a similar situation where "The Beast" was up for sale. I don't recall all the details.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well its been over an hour since my last email to him. I asked for a picture of it, saying i would send funds on receipt of the picture. His first reply to me took less than 2 minutes, so i guess i wont be hearing from him again.