Fenix TK75 2015 or Nitecore TM16GT? Opinions asked

Buzzing Bulb

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have been a Nitecore fan for some time, I have several P12's an EA41-2015 and a P12GT on the way.
When I saw that Nitecore brought out a TM16GT 2 weeks ago I knew that my next flashlight should be a thrower.
When I checked out kj75's awesome review on the Fenix TK75-2015 I was almost sure I wanted a TK75-2015.
Especially since it comes with a shoulder strap and the option for a battery extender.

For anyone that has either of these flashlights, what can you recommend?
Are there issues you encountered or anything else, either good or bad?
For instance, when using the battery extender does the construction of the entire flashlight hold up when on a shoulder strap?

The battery specs for the 2015 version were measured with 3400mah batts while the earlier TK75 version was measured with 2600mah's
If I would buy the 2015 version I would get an extender tube with it and use 8x samsung icr18650-26f 2600mah with protection circuit. Would that be safe enough?
Some time ago I read a story I think it was on this forum where a fellow flashaholic blew up a flashlight containing 8x 18650 batteries.
Resulting in his balcony beïng destroyed and aluminium bits stuck in the walls of his apartment.

This would be my first thrower and also the first time that I am spending 200 euro on a single flashlight.

Thanks.

Ps. Sorry for speaking in the "I" form a lot.
For I suck in asking questions of telling stories
icon11.gif

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I for one have no issue using I.

The TK75 2015 version has the stud socket mounted to the side of the light body. The second attachment point is the slots in the tail cap, so using a sling won't be a issue.

All of my TK61 and TK75 lights use the extended runtime kit. Never had issue with the sling.

Most of my protected batteries are button tops and are difficult to load into the magazines. I use non protected cells and monitor the voltage. When finished using, I pull the batteries and verify the voltage. I have never seen more than .02 volts difference between batteries. As long as you get used to testing, you won't have a problem.

As for an exploded 8 cell light. This is the first I've heard of this problem.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im going to guess the Nitecore has parasitic draw on the batteries and the Fenix does not. Just a guess. Maybe someone can post if either light does. Both my Nitecore TM06 and TM26 need to be recharged monthly from battery drain while off. My Fenix TK76 has no draw on the batteries while sitting around.
The lights are all big and dont get alot of use by me. I like having them.
Just something to consider.

Buzzing Bulb

Newly Enlightened
Well I for one have no issue using I.

The TK75 2015 version has the stud socket mounted to the side of the light body. The second attachment point is the slots in the tail cap, so using a sling won't be a issue.

All of my TK61 and TK75 lights use the extended runtime kit. Never had issue with the sling.

Most of my protected batteries are button tops and are difficult to load into the magazines. I use non protected cells and monitor the voltage. When finished using, I pull the batteries and verify the voltage. I have never seen more than .02 volts difference between batteries. As long as you get used to testing, you won't have a problem.

As for an exploded 8 cell light. This is the first I've heard of this problem.

Wow that TK61 really goes the distance.
Which one do you prefer the TK61 or the TK75-2015?
Because now I see the TK61 is much cheaper too.
At first I was all lumens hungery but I soon noticed thats not all that matters in a good flashlight.
800 meters wauw.
Also the battery time is almost 4 times as long!! So no real need for an extender besides looking more badass.

Last edited:

Buzzing Bulb

Newly Enlightened
So it is either TK75 max distance 2133ft (650m) and max intensity 105600cd but with a bigger spot.
Or the TK61 max distance 2703ft (824m) and max intensity 170000cd but with a tiny spot.
Or the TM16GT max distance (1000M) and max intensity 252000cd with xp-l hi v3 leds.
For some reason the TK75 seems more practical, although I love to have a long thrower but I feel that is the wow factor talking.
Like look how far it can reach!!! But later it is more of a let down because what am I looking for that is 824m away that I can't find at 650m.
I have no idea what them xp-l hi v3 leds are capable of my p12gt is still in the mail.

This is so tough.
I feel that if I don't buy the TK61 I'll still be searching for a great thrower.

Last edited:

Xaios

Newly Enlightened
One issue you might run into is that the TK61 has been discontinued. Fenix has a replacement slated to come out sometime next year to fill the void in the "super no-spill thrower" category, but that's all we know.

I have a TK61 and I love it, but I also admit that it's not the most practical light. Although one nice thing about having so few lumens is that the battery life is insane considering the amount of throw it has.

ven

Flashaholic

+1 most certainly, the tk75vnQ is an awesome light and out throws(360+kcd) the standard tk61 (160 kcd iirc)by a good way and has all the flood. The tk61 does have useful spill though, in vinh form a monster, however i am not keen on the actual form factor of this particular light............just me! Its still a good light, a lot more so in tk61vn form with over 600kcd

The tm16gt seems to have overtaken( in throw) in one respect the tk75 2015 in standard forms , i dont like the cell lay out of the tm16 though, and have been put off since the change from the original Tiny Monster series. Nitecore have come on a lot it seems ,having had to deal with their CS in China in the last few months, it was moderate in work, but comms was acceptable. What i did not like was the no support from the UK distributor as bought from China(tm15 is the light in Q and failed with no reason and had a far from hard life!!). So all sorted inside a month , until UK full support i will be staying away from the brand as tbh i dont have confidence in them as i do other Chinese brands.

Not a fan of over exaggerated claims(yep i know most do) and the ano is not HAIII either, but maybe other are not too...........just seem to chip too easy for me, military grade i think(ok i know) not.

Fenix are too slow on the innovation front, NC are well ahead in that game but seem to release too many lights too quick for me,your latest and greatest could be outdated by an updated version in weeks!!! I would rather one good release with the right UI or led choice and a gap rather than subtle releases/upgrades too regular. May be another way of putting it would be dont rush them out and get it more right the once......

The standard tk75 2015 imho is a bit of a backward move(at best a side way move)............compared to the 2900lm version .

Just imo of course, thats all it is:)

Kind of a rant it looks, its not meant to be :laughing:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing that you seem to be interested in a thrower I thought I would throw out the Olight M3XS-UT as an option too. Very compact and a heck of a thrower for not much money after a coupon. I have used one and can testify it turns everything inside of 500 yards into daylight

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights today are like computers were 5-7 years ago. What you purchase today is discontinued within the year. Does it mean that the light stops working? Not that I can see.

The TK61 and TK75 are two totally different lights. The TK61 is a pure thrower. It does that job well in stock format. It's not a super thrower like some of the newest lights on the market, but still a good light.

As Ven pointed out, the 2015 TK75 light was not a major upgrade like previous revisions. Yes, it's brighter due to the addition of a fourth emitter, but that addition comes at a loss of run time and throw distance. It's difficult to add an emitter and make the reflectors deeper to increase throw while keeping the same overall package size.

The TK61 has enough mass to allow for long run times on turbo without the LED getting hot. This leads me to the Olight M3XS-UT. This light only uses two batteries and doesn't have the mass to pull the heat generated away from the LED. The light starts out very good on throw, but steps down faster than other lights. Same goes for the M2X-UT, except it only uses one 18650 battery.

The Nitecore TM16 or TM16GT lights have the funky two up two down battery polarity configuration. Depending on your need for throw, the GT model could fit your bill. For me, the TM16 doesn't do anything for me. Maybe in a Vinh modified version, but stock, it doesn't throw as far as my TM36's do nor have the length of run time. You can't take the NBP52 battery pack and screw onto the TM16 because of the battery polarity.

Your decision is do you want to be able to increase run time by using additional batteries with the extended run time kit that fits the Fenix lights, or do you want the throw of the TM16/TM16GT?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im going to guess the Nitecore has parasitic draw on the batteries and the Fenix does not. Just a guess. Maybe someone can post if either light does. Both my Nitecore TM06 and TM26 need to be recharged monthly from battery drain while off. My Fenix TK76 has no draw on the batteries while sitting around.
The lights are all big and dont get alot of use by me. I like having them.
Just something to consider.
The TK61/75 does have a parasitic drain. Unless you unscrew the tail cap most of the way, the leaf springs for the negative contacts still touch.

For your TM06 and TM26 lights, the TM26 light is sensitive to battery length. All this light takes is a quarter twist to lock out the light so no drain. I keep batteries in both of my TM26 lights and just lock out. Occasionally I'll twist the battery tube to verify voltage, still going strong at over 4.1 volts.
The TM06 can also be locked out. My TM06's haven't been used in a few months. Just pulled the batteries. The pair with the positive forward measured 4.10-4.11 volts. The pair with the negative forward measured 4.09 and 4.10 due to rounding up of the meter. You can rattle the light and hear that the batteries aren't making contact with the springs and contact buttons. Try it sometime.

Buzzing Bulb

Newly Enlightened
Than I guess I would go for the TM16GT.

I see this forum has a groupbuy here.
I'm from the Netherlands and wonder if I could also partake in this groupbuy?
Are there any other Dutchies here that have partaken in such a groupbuy?

Buzzing Bulb

Newly Enlightened
Than I guess I would go for the TM16GT.

I see there is a groupbuy beeing made possible here.
Can I also partake in such a groupbuy?
I myself am from the Netherlands, are there any fellow Dutchies here that have partaken in a groupbuy in the past?
I have a paypal account so I can wire the money, but is there any insurance Nitecore actually sends the package?
The Dutch costums ask 12.50 euro + 10% for everything that gets into the country ouside of the EU that has a worth above 20euro.

Oops sorry for the double post!:eek:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Is there a real difference, in throw, between the Stock Fenix TK61......Oliight M2X UT Javelot...Olight M3X UT Javelot, and the Nitecore TM36?