What is your favorite 'obsolete' light?

Okay, just for kicks, does anyone have a light that they still really like despite it being 'obsolete'? I use quotes because even when a light is really dated from a technology standpoint it still puts out light! I'll start with one that I still like even though it's a dinosaur- my trust ol' Pelican NEMO 2010. Back when I got it the light seemed kind of compact since most folks I knew were running Mag-Lites. By modern standards though a 3 C-cell light is huge compared to even a large light running CR123As. The light uses "recoil technology"- the LED is aimed backward into a parabolic reflector that focuses the light and projects it out the front at a retina-searing 45 lumens!:crackup: Yeah, not very bright nowadays, and biased way too blue. Still, I've had the same batteries in it since I bought and they're supposed to give a runtime of 50 hours. It's also rated for use as a dive light and it's rated for explosive environments. It's pretty sturdy and well made, large enough to not get lost.

If it disappeared I wouldn't buy a new one but I actually do still keep it hanging on a hook as a house light (albeit a little-used one since I have so many more modern lights). Even though it's obsolete by contemporary standards it's the light I grab if there's a power outage. It's ideal for that since it tailstands and runs for days on one set of C-cells. Not super bright but enough to do stuff around the house without killing a couple sets of batteries.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Lightwave 4000. It's not very bright(wish I could get it modded with newer,brighter 5mm LEDs)...

but it'll run 3 months on 1 set(3 total) of fresh D batteries.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Where to begin?....

An oil lamp for starters, after finding it with an incan solitaire.

Nah, seriously, I just received a new (old stock) Strion from 06, and absolutely love my new (old stock) TL 2 shockproof light. They are not daily beaters by any means. But they do not collect dust either.

And some new incan mini mags I recently acquired are in the rotation.

In my junkyard tool bag is a multi LED (read purple tint) rubberized light that's comfy for teeth hold. It's small, lightweight and has a lanyard. Runs forever on 3 aaa's.

Until recently an LED Lenser tri beam was my bedside table lamp...that is until the Alpha came along. And that was due to being able to quickly turn it into a bad guy blinder.

Yeah, I have classic lights all over the place.
Some say obsolete. I say "it's not obsolete unless it's broken."

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of lights that come to mind.The old single level,25 lumen?, INOVA X5 ,the original INOVA X1 with the optic,Princeton Tec TEC40,CMG Infinity(pre-Gerber),Pak-Lite 9V,not really sure you can call it obsolete with the amazing run-times but definitely old tech. I guess of those I probably use Pak-Lites the most but the others still see occasional use or reside as back-ups in emergency kits. As for lights that I really don't use anymore........well I better stick with the ones still in service since I was only supposed to pick one in the first place.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
iTP SA2, 2xAA light. I'm not much of a fan of 2xAA lights but at least this one was very efficient and could run on 2xAA Energizer lithium batteries without losing its low mode. It also had a combination of fixed output modes and the ability to do infinite variable.

Silverback

Newly Enlightened
I still use my Nitecore D10 r2 quite a bit. The form factor is still better than any other light I own. Just feels good in the hand, even though the bluish tint doesn't hold a candle to today's neutral tones.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire Aviator A2 Incandescent

With White or Red leds. My favorite "obsolete" light. I add the Lumens Factory HO bulb and its a solid performer still.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore D10 Tribute. That or the D10 R2 "Hybrid". They would be awesome using any of the modern LEDs. XPG2 or XPL HI. Yumm!

markr6

Flashaholic
Fenix PD32UE. Big fat neutral hotspot and momentary-on tail switch makes it a great light. I just don't like using the separate switch to change modes...and never knowing what mode it will start in...so it got downgraded to my "garage" light. I also keep one in the car which doesn't see much use.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Incandescent Mini Maglite. Since they're indestructible, I have a number of them left over from the last century. They're perfect for places you never expect to need a light - for example, I have one in the basement in case of a power failure while I'm down there.