batonlight modification - 9 LEDs!

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
As mentioned earlier, the streamlight batonlight uses the nichia white leds - high output, but a distinctively blue tint (lacking in red) - to try and fix this, I soldered 6 ea. of the HP high efficiency red surface mount LEDs underneath the white LEDs (3 groups of 2 in series since the reds don't like 4.5V !) - the added red light mixes well with the white thanks to the lexan cover and produces a more white beam instead of the bluish tint we've grown accustomed to. Current draw went from 195 mA up to 245 mA, so the battery life will drop accordingly - but the color output is much improved. The light output is a bit higher thanks to the 6 extra LEDs as well.

Now the white LED manufacturers need to integrate a small RED led inside to help balance it out!

Doug

Enlightened
*9*?! Ok.. you have to show us pictures now! Pictures of the light output, and pictures of the LEDs in the light .. OK?
smile.gif

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hmmwv:
As mentioned earlier, the streamlight batonlight uses the nichia white leds - high output, but a distinctively blue tint (lacking in red) - to try and fix this, I soldered 6 ea. of the HP high efficiency red surface mount LEDs underneath the white LEDs (3 groups of 2 in series since the reds don't like 4.5V !) - the added red light mixes well with the white thanks to the lexan cover and produces a more white beam instead of the bluish tint we've grown accustomed to. Current draw went from 195 mA up to 245 mA, so the battery life will drop accordingly - but the color output is much improved. The light output is a bit higher thanks to the 6 extra LEDs as well.

Now the white LED manufacturers need to integrate a small RED led inside to help balance it out!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m afraid you lost me there. I just don`t understand. If I did not already know how smart you are I would think your full of manure. I know my Expedition has various tints in it, 2 yellow ( one much more so ) , 1 green, one red, one blue and the other two I can`t really tell...white. The light quality is more pleasant ( warmer, not so harsh ) than my other lights. But I don`t understand how you got all those red led`s in there. Can`t wait to see the pic`s so I can understand what your genius brain has come up with.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-24-2001 at 08:36 AM</font>

DaveH

Enlightened
He said the new LEDs where surface mount, that is pretty small relative to standard LEDs

Dave

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
But even so. Boy, they must real small. Do you think rubing a red magic marker on the led`s ( maybe a touch at the tip, focal point ) would do the same thing? My Baton is pulling 228 mA.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-24-2001 at 09:54 AM</font>

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
I'll get the camera out tonight so you can see where/how the extra LEDs went in there - remember SMT leds are about the size of a spec of pepper -you hold them with tweesers and solder them with an iron called a "Metcal" www.metcal.com which is intended for smt parts (needle point!)

If you've never seen SMT parts- imagine the tiny square centered inside the 1-3/4 LED - the one with the wire bond to it - the SMT parts just have that, without all the reflector and plastic.

Before you think that is small - there are newer parts (0402) which are .040" x .020" - slightly larger than a grain of salt - these can be installed inside the drill hole in a PCB- and the technology keeps shrinking.

This doesn't add that much total output, but does get the color closer to white (less blue) - I think mixing LEDs in a light is a great idea - didn't realize the trek did it too, but that would explain why its beam looks soo good.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by hmmwv on 01-24-2001 at 09:57 AM</font>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
Or maybe using a blue bulb (solves the resistor problem) with one of those silicon slip on "rubbers" Craig was testing a while back ( still waiting to hear from his girlfriend for more on this..LOL...LOL..har..har...sorry Craig...I`m better now) to give the red tint would work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, there's a reason I choose to remain single. Imagine her jamming up the vacuum cleaner with LEDs every day, or knocking flashlights down the garbage disposal every time she does dishes...
frown.gif

Those LED condoms don't come in any red tint that I am aware of. They're designed to create varying shades of whites: pure white, ivory, yellowish, greenish, and bluish whites. They also disperse the LED's output to a near 180° beam angle, and you know what happens to LEDs with ever-widening beam angles (the mcd figure goes down the toilet).

One company is making a special LED that has an aqua chip and a yellow chip inside, which is supposed to give light with a better white appearance than normal white LEDs, but I have not yet been privy to any samples of these.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a great idea to. I wonder if ...for example: taking a Lightwave and placing a red led in the middle, filing the tip at an angle( like Led Corp. does with their Mag light replacement bulb) to give that smooth even dispersion would work. Or maybe using a blue bulb (solves the resistor problem) with one of those silicon slip on "rubbers" Craig was testing a while back ( still waiting to hear from his girlfriend for more on this..LOL...LOL..har..har...sorry Craig...I`m better now) to give the red tint would work. I think the Expedition is more a matter of batch mixing than on purpose...I dont think any two have the same combination.

You could be on to something.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-24-2001 at 01:16 PM</font>