Simple single or separate buttons Flashlights for grandparents

LightMagic

Newly Enlightened
Hello there,

I've been trying to find simple CREE LED flashlights that has separate switch for Low/Med/High instead of 1 button that cycles through 4-5 modes as these are difficult to operate for grandparents and non-flashaholics family members.

Can you please recommend some?

Thank you!

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what you're referring to is not wanting a single electronic switch that does every thing from turning the light on to the various modes. Then, I'd look for a flashlight that has a tail cap switch with the mode switch on the side. There are plenty of them. It depends on your battery configuration. A single AA light like the Fenix E12 would work for grandparents. It has a single mechanical tail cap switch but also a slight tap of that switch once the light is one.........changes modes...........and there are only 3 modes (low-med-high), but its very simple to operate. This a great light that isn't very expensive considering its a popular name brand. All of my kids have one of these and they love it. It's in my top 3 list of single AA lights.

Another simple light that my dad loves (he's 82) is the Terralux Lightstar 80 pocket pen light. Takes 2x AAA batteries (which isn't my favorite configuration), but the light is simple, small, pocket-able, single mode output and great for older people that need simplicity. I got the light for my dad as a glove box light in his car but he takes it out and uses it for every thing. It's not the brightest but very functional in my opinion.

Last edited:

tops2

Enlightened
I second the Fenix E12 for non-flashaholics too for the reasons mentioned already.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree about the Lightstar 80. And an advantage is they are cheap enough you can buy several for them to keep around the house. I prefer using lithium primary cells to avoid the possibility of leaks, but that is a personal choice. My experience is that the lithium cells cost about two or three times the cost of alkalines, but since they last about twice as long it evens out.

Poppy

Flashaholic
For grandparents, depending upon how functional they are, you might consider a 2D rayovac indestructible. One button simple, high, low, off.
250 lumens on high. 75 low.
It is large enough that it won't get lost.
Two D cells will run for a long time.
Each year you can gift them a new set of cells, maybe four cells.

I don't know what the beam looks like, but the other three that I have, have a focused- thrower beam, which isn't the best up close light. I have access to their headlamp, 2AA, 3AAA, and 3 C.

OTOH, I gifted my dad a 3D maglight led, and it is the most often light used in the house, and he has many.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm sorry, but I have to put my two cents in here.

IMO, for grandparents, ( more important than a particularly good light), they should have a couple Emergency- AUTO ON Power Failure lights, that come on when the power goes out. Nothing sends seniors to the hospital more than trips and falls at home.

IMO there should be at least one on each floor, including the basement. One might be positioned so as to shine SOME light into adjacent rooms.

They're about $10 each.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
I gave my 82 y/o Grandma a Fenix E20. (2) AA, one button on the end and 4 brightness modes. Perfect!

tops2

Enlightened
Haha.. I was going to recommend E20 also, but since I don't own one, didn't feel right to recommend something I don't have.

LightMagic

Newly Enlightened
A single OFF/ON button without a button that cycles. If there is a power cycle then a button that clicks instead of light tap which initiates the power cycle. This light tap is what makes it not easy for seniors in my family

el soluna

Newly Enlightened
E12 agreed. Olight S1 much loved. Some Ultrafires do the job just as well but charge way less.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
My grandpa got a thrunite archer 2c v2 for Christmas, as well as an automatic charger (nightcore d2) and two panasonic 18650 batteries.
So far he likes it, you change the mode with the side button and Turn it on with the tail switch. It stays on the mode that you left it on with no parasitic drain.

Unfortunately Thrunite has sold out of every single one and is not going to be shipping more for a few months as they update their product.

LightMagic

Newly Enlightened
My grandpa got a thrunite archer 2c v2 for Christmas, as well as an automatic charger (nightcore d2) and two panasonic 18650 batteries.
So far he likes it, you change the mode with the side button and Turn it on with the tail switch. It stays on the mode that you left it on with no parasitic drain.

Unfortunately Thrunite has sold out of every single one and is not going to be shipping more for a few months as they update their product.

I looked up on eBay and see this $250 obo WTH!!!?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252051089631

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I second the 2 function Rayovac's.

The 2aa indestructable is an oversized light that's easy to see, yet runs on cheaper batteries.
But D cell lights are even easier to spot to old eyes in low light.
My question would be how technology proficient are they? Do they have gizmos and gadgets like home computers, and text messaging phones?

If yes then they'd be likely to grab a hold of a multi function flashlight with extra buttons and such.
If not, the simple on/off side button of a mag 2D, rayovac or other 'old faithful' style with a not so bright illumination. An incan Mag 2D with a nite ize LED drop in would be ideal. RAW color, pewter, red or blue would be easier to spot in low light.

My pop was a machinist who retro-fitted machines to become computer controlled, yet hated pc's and cel phones. His favorite light was an incan 2C cell Dorcy with a slider switch. Said he didn't like LED lights...too bright he said.

So you need to decide 1st if they'd even use a multi function flashlights multi functions.

And what poppy said about auto lights...priceless.

Just make sure there is a stash of new batteries near them or in a central closet with easy access.
My pop had a shelf set aside in his hall closet with a kleenex box (top removed) to store batteries, and a kitchen drawer dedicated to matches, lighters (for jar candles) and flashlight batteries.

His auto lights had a red lamp that flashed when the batteries ran low.

Last edited:

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I looked up on eBay and see this $250 obo WTH!!!?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252051089631
for a while they were being sold for $35, Thrunite has stopped production for a few months so there are not very many for sale. I noticed that eBay listing and I figured that it was a profiteer price gouging to try and get a sucker to buy it.

edit: it seems they brought the price down a bit, it looks to be the same address that thrunite has people send back lights on warrenty.

Last edited: