Malkoff questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize I could just ask Gene but I suspect I'll get my answer even quicker from the folks of CPF!;) I've been mulling over the purchase of an MDC when I noticed they also sell just the bodies. What head/heads fit the MDC body? Is it the same size as the Surefire E1b? Does the VME head fit the MDC? I'm a bit confused about which things fit the MDC and which ones fit the MD2.:ohgeez:

Wow, that was fast! Thanks!:twothumbs One more question for anyone that knows; will the same head fit the newer EB1 or just the older E series lights like the E1b? And I'm still a bit confused about what the VME/Valiant head fits. Lastly, the Malkoff site says the VME takes M type dropins- which are those in the Malkoff line?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
E series heads fit on the MDC and the MDC head will fit on the e series bodies. So for example, yes, the MDC head will fit on an E1b body and vice versa.

Oops, I see that Andy already answered your first question so I'll try to answer your last questions: the vme head will take any of the M6X or M9X series dropins. It was designed for e series bodies as well (E1B for example).

I can't speak with any certainty regarding the EB1 being compatible with the E1B.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep - the Surefire E-series bodies/tailcaps/heads are all interchangeable.

The only real difference applies to the latest generation bezes - the "-A" models are not compatible with the earlier diffusers/color covers.

Ah, thanks! Just looking at more pics it does look like the head of the new EB1 is larger. I am trying to decide what combo of parts to go with. It seems like the MDC body with a VME head and the M31W (when it's back in stock) would be pretty potent while throwing a nice, warmish beam. I have a Malkoff Scout head on my E1b and I really like it, bit improvement in power and tint over the greenish cast of the original Surefire head. But I'm really getting into the Malkoff 'N' and 'W' dropins- the color is awesome! The cool thing about the Valiant/MKE is that I could swap dropins, too.

Probably you'd only get one output level with the MDC body and a different head...

Oops, I see that Andy already answered your first question so I'll try to answer your last questions: the vme head will take any of the M6X or M9X series dropins. It was designed for e series bodies as well (E1B for example).

Are you saying that an M61 will fit the VME head? Or is it just the M31?

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
Are you saying that an M61 will fit the VME head? Or is it just the M31?

They will both fit the VME Head. They are what's considered the "M Type" drop-ins. The main difference being the min/max voltage they will handle (M3x/M6x Malkoffs are different voltage ranges). So just be sure to fully read the description of whatever drop-in your looking to purchase and make sure it best suits the voltage you will be feeding it. :twothumbs

Thanks, 1pt21! After some reading it looked to me like it physically will fit, and I figured that one CR123A will be out of regulation right away. Sounds like the M31 is a better match, but right now the M31W is out of stock.

1pt21

Enlightened
Thanks, 1pt21! After some reading it looked to me like it physically will fit, and I figured that one CR123A will be out of regulation right away. Sounds like the M31 is a better match, but right now the M31W is out of stock.

No worries, I have probably over a dozen Malkoff drop-ins floating around all the way from the old school stuff, hand engraved M60's, limited runs, flood versions, a tower for one of my SF M6's, to new and current offerings. So I know my way around them, as MANY MANY CPF'ers do as well (as you can tell from the quick replies)!

Yeah, I personally find myself using the various M30 offerings the most as I can run them well on 2x AA Eneloops :candle:

If you're dead set on the warm version it does look like you will have to wait (I think you can sign up for an email alert when they come back). Really there's no way of telling how long the wait will be, but I've never waited too long. With that said, the tint on the regular M31 is by no means horrible ;)

Enjoy!!!

I'd be happy with an M31N but apparently that doesn't exist. The Malkoff Scout head for my E light is on the cool side; it doesn't really bother me but I would prefer something more neutral. To me that's a big draw of the Elzetta and Malkoff stuff- better tint. My Surefires are mostly too green and most of my Chinese lights are bluer than I'd prefer. IMO the M61N is about perfect. But I'm really "warming" up to (if you'll pardon the pun:crackup:) my M61WL. But of course even my Scout and my M61L have pretty good tint. It's more that I want to go warmer than out of any dissatisfaction with the others.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.