Surefire E1D for Christmas.....need advice

Qship1996

Enlightened
Just got the E1D,and have a few questions for you experts! What battery is best to use with this light,the stock one or are there better ones available? How about a rechargable battery for this application? Last,but not least,any recommendations on holsters or other cases to protect the light? I will be mainly keeping this light in my car,I am thinking.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use Surefire brand primaries. For rechargeable batteries in my E1Ds I run a combination of things. Soshine 3.0 volt RCRs work well. But I have been running 3.7 volts in it with no problems. All kinds of brands I think I have a Olight cell in one now, or maybe a Fenix?

You can find a custom kydex holster on ebay. But the kydex will scratch the finish likely. Or contact Hogo and get a nice leather rig made. For storage, I use those cheap $3.99 plastic cases from banggood.

For car storage and use, keep primaries in the light, and rechargeable as back up users. Basically in a emergency grab the primary is there ready to go. If you are taking it out to use for play, swap batteries.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
If you want to run an 18350 I'll be happy to bore it for you. Lots of information if you look for PrecisionWorks in the Custom Flashlight Builders & Modders forum.

nimdabew

Enlightened
If car use, use nothing but primaries. I use the rechargeablew for my EDC/rotation/high drain lights. I am in love with my incandescent aviator, but it goes through batteries like none other if used daily. I am going to start swapping lights around here in a few minutes since I picked up a bunch of goodies for Christmas too.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies,guess I will stick with the standard battery until I read much more here.Will shop around for a suitable protective case that helps protect the light.Shocked Surefire does not make one for this particular light.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Not particularly,just something to put the light in so when it sits around,it does not get scratched up.Maybe even a felt lined drawstring bag? Ideally,something with a compartment to hold a few extra batteries....I am envisioning a mini camera type case?

nimdabew

Enlightened
I will skip the why and say just stick it in the box it came with if you are worried about it getting scratched. If not that, go buy a bottle of crown Royal. The purple bag comes with a free bottle of whiskey.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to sound like a lump on a log, but.....Surefire makes their products for hard use. So I say, use it and enjoy it!! :) I consider the scratches on my user lights as badges of honor for the light. Not to mention the character it gives the light. However, it is your light to do as you please. You can use a sunglass bag. I use that for some of my custom lights, along with the aforementioned plastic storage cases. Surefire does sell some holsters. But they will swallow the E1D. I am glad you like it. If you want to customize it a little, you could get a different tailcap down the road?
This will give you a idea. This tail cap will work on your light. Currently I have it on a old school E1E. But you get the gist.
F6D47FA4-7D46-4C4D-8556-A84C16042FA5_zpsb0perc2e.jpg

This style tail allows for easy Mouth hold. Plus it is Ti, so no metallic tastes. ha!

Another great mod is adding a GITD
zipper pull to your Defender tail cap. Makes it easier to draw from pocket.

Sample pic, so ya get the gist again!
tacandturbo_zpsbee1e842.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bubble wrap sacks make fine little light protectors and allow extra batteries if you choose. Or a battery filled bubble wrap sack...
Office stores sell them.

Malkoff products arrive in them.
And if you decide to carry the light the bubble wrap-age doesn't take up much room.

Very handy at keeping stored lights in great shape, and easy to rapidly deploy by simply unrolling and pouring the light out.

Last edited:

Qship1996

Enlightened
Just wanted to update this thread- bought a Surefire V82 nylon holster for my new E1D, and also bought a new E2D ultra and V91 holster while I was at it! Going to keep the E1D in the house,and the E2D ultra in the car to use while out and about and also to carry into hotel rooms while vacationing.All set for awhile,I think?

Last edited:

Qship1996

Enlightened
FYI, I just got off the phone with Surefire corporate,and they confirmed they have stopped offering ALL holster products for their lights,with no plans to introduce any new ones.....so if you want a surefire nylon holster,better start searching their retailers for any they have left over in stock.I was lucky to find the 2 I needed in stock at my local dealer yesterday,may go back and pick up an extra to keep on hand for future use.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
FYI, I just got off the phone with Surefire corporate,and they confirmed they have stopped offering ALL holster products for their lights,with no plans to introduce any new ones.....so if you want a surefire nylon holster,better start searching their retailers for any they have left over in stock.I was lucky to find the 2 I needed in stock at my local dealer yesterday,may go back and pick up an extra to keep on hand for future use.

Thanks for the heads up!

Qship1996

Enlightened
Your welcome! I am a little shocked Surefire would decide to stop offering their holsters,seems like a logical "add on " sale to all the flashlights they sell,and a way to boost profits for them? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.