What happened to programmable lights ?

Budman231

Enlightened
Been away from light scene for a while. Is HDS the only programmable light left ? That appeared to be the trend some years ago.

Seems most lights now are just spacing out a fixed amount of modes and hoping customers like the manufacturers choices.

Budman231

ven

Flashaholic

archimedes

Flashaholic
No, there has been quite an increase in programmable flashlights over the past year or two ....

The McGizmo HiVe-LD by @rush
Oveready V5 series
Prometheus Icarus

... and many others

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, there has been quite an increase in programmable flashlights over the past year or two ....

The McGizmo HiVe-LD by @rush
Oveready V5 series
Prometheus Icarus

... and many others

Exactly. It is also worth pointing out that the Oveready V5 series, a triple-LED programmable head compatible with the Surefire P60 family (and there is a version compatible with the E-series Surefires), has a neat new way of programming.

You go to a website and make a selection of modes, which by the way includes the battery configuration -- so if you want to you can use 2x123A primaries, as well as Li-Ions, provided you specify this in the program. You then put the flashlight into a programming mode, and then it somehow "reads" what the website flashes out and it programs itself!!

Quite an evolution from having to tap long sequences into your flashlight...

There is a downside, the Overready heads came out in a batch and were quickly sold out. I think there will be a new batch coming out but you have to keep an eye out for it and be quick. And of course they are not cheap :laughing:.

Budman231

Enlightened
It looks like these are all add-on third party products. Probably void warrantee of original manufacturer.

McGizmo is awesome, just very expensive from what I remember.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The drivers ven mentioned aren't factory provided, but Vinh provides a warranty. The others all come from the manufacturer.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do not like the manufacturer's choices and are confirmed with what you want, you could email mtnelectronics and ask Richard to program what you like, in a P60 dropin or a host that he offers.

Sky Lumen is offering drivers with many options, if you are wanting to experiment. Their upcoming drivers hold much promise.

The Oveready Team is offering an exciting option with their Version 5: Wasp heads, P60 dropins, and under-development compact heads. Their optical programming allows extensive flexibility as well as integrated features for now and in the future. Demand has been exceeding supply but it sounds like they will be able to eventually sell to all of us who are interested. This kind of technology does not come cheap, and it is, in the eyes of many CPF members, a good value considering what it offers. It continues to evolve and we get to participate. Exciting.

Skivvy9r

Newly Enlightened
PFlexPro has a number of programmable flashlights available. These are custom flashlights built on either a Convoy or a SolarForce host. I just received one built on a Convoy C8 host with an XPL HI V2 emitter, fully potted. Very bright, excellent throw and a choice of 22 different programs. It's great to have that kind of versatility in programmed modes. I'm very pleased; it's way more bang for the buck than you get from any of the large manufacturers. I'll be getting one of their SolarForce/P60 builds soon I'm sure.

Latest posts