KL1 mod with UFO luxeon clone

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good news is the UFO fits PERFECTLY inside the KL1, which makes centering a non-issue.
kl1_ufo_inside.jpg

The bad news is it doesn't really stack up with a good Lux-III. On the other hand, it's considerably cheaper.

KL1/UFO/Fraen vs Arc Grey Rev1/TWAK/Fraen:
kl1_ufo_flp_vs_arc_rev1_twak_flp.jpg

The Fraen LP above doesn't seem to work very well.

KL1/UFO/NX-05 vs Arc Grey Rev1/TWAK/Fraen:

kl1_ufo_nx05_vs_arc_rev1_twak_flp.jpg

Much better with the NX-05.

I'm scared to overdrive the UFO. I killed a green one when I tried to drive it with a BB400. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Overall, the UFO isn't a bad deal for $5. It's not worth it as a replacement for luxeons, though. In a scratch-built application it has potential to fit in a niche between the Luxeon and 5mm LEDs.

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
interesting, especially for filling that nitch...wonder how's the output compare with a Luxeon at lower levels like 300mA or less ( bin being same )

I probably missed this but are they more like an HD or a LD

rob, [ now ya really have me itching to open my kl1 ]

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light has inconsistent color similar to the LD, with blue in the middle and green rings, though it seems that the variation is more subtle than in most LD luxeons I've seen. The beam pattern isn't really like either.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you get them without or remove them from the disc they are on? If so and we can figure out optics for it, then for small 1AA lights it would be nice. That or use those 8mm multi die leds...

These would be nice for accent lighting when you don't need a whole lot of light from a luxeon.

chalo

Newly Enlightened
One version of the "baby UFO" has a stud (threaded metric 3mm) sticking out the back of the heatsink plate. That seems like great news for ease of mounting/heatsinking.

The bad news is that the output of the babies is claimed to be considerably less than that of the full size UFOs.

The diameter of the babies is 11mm, the same as an N cell and just a touch over that of a AAA cell. It would be easier to forgive their lack of brightness compared to a 1W Luxeon emitter if they did not demand similar power to one.

Chalo Colina