PK FL2 vs ProTac HL

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In this corner wearing the body piercing sculptured exterior, we have the PK FL 2 LE...

And in this corner we have the rather utilitarian stylistic exterior the Streamlight ProTac HL.

For this contest the pair will be matched against each other in a contest of resourcefulness.
Simply put, the PK beats the stuffing out of the ProTac in a first round knock out regarding indimidating looks.
Yet in price the ProTac takes a decisive advantage.

The PK has beautiful lines and miniscual details most will over look, where the ProTac has a quality look about it, in a mass produced sort of broad range appeal.

Both lights lock out if unfastened a bit. And both can be used as a twisty if left on and unfastened to lockout mode.
But...the ProTac turns back on where you have setting 1 programmed to. The PK cycles hi/lo like normal using a twisty motion for on/off.

The ProTac tailstands and has a removable bezel down clip. The PK can use lanyard rings or Malkoff type clips.

Both are sprung at the tail cap only. But the PK legos with 6P stuff. Yet the head comes off of the ProTac in case you damage your lens.

Both are very close to center balanced with the PK being closer to center balanced.

Both have a nice wide spot beam with lots of spill, but imo the PK beam is more appealing with better color rendition....much better.

The ProTac is readily available where there were only a thousand PK FL 2's made.

The PK is one down right sexy flashlight, where the ProTac is the perverbial wall flower.

But in day to day situations both are mighty fine. If I were in combat I'd rather have the PK for sheer toughness and reliability. Yet if all I had were a ProTac HL, I'd still feel pretty confident.

I'll add more later...the low setting, and UI of each.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The beam shots.

It was drizzling when the photos were taken using a cel phone on awb and auto focus.

^^ next door neighbor leaves a light on
The shed is a bout 50', trash cans about 75', unseen garage about 500'

Trash cans;

^^ ProTac

^^ PK
Winner the 650 beam over the 750 one.

The garage;

^^ ProTac

^^ PK
A close call but imo the ProTac wins.

The tree:
Pine trees are about 300' away, about 100' up

^^ no lighting

^^ the ProTac

^^ PK

It seems that the mega smooth reflector of the PK is a great thrower, yet has at least as much spill as the high lumen set up of the ProTac.

For the money, the ProTac is one dam fine flashlight.
But for the flashaholic, PK wins the decision.

You will not be disappointed with either one of these fine examples of the modern day flashlight for everyday general purpose duties.

The ProTac with it's 3 differing Ten Tap programs may be more useful to some. The hi/lo tail cap settings of the PK may be preffered by others.

Last edited: