Malkoff build help

mickb

Enlightened
Hi guys, newb at LED flashlights trying to decipher all the stuff on Malkoffs' site. This will sound really newb but do any components there get me an 18650 based light with two outputs and maximum around 500 Lumens? I see the hounddog is higher and the MD2 is lower power and several 16000's battery models are at 500 where I want to be.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SHO and M91 drop-ins require the voltage provided by two Li-Ions (for full run time), and don't operate at all from one.

The MDX22.3-M61HOT Throw Head does deliver 500 lumens, and it was designed to be used with a single Li-Ion cell in an MD2 body, and two Li-Ions deliver too much voltage. It uses an optic instead of a reflector, so it's beam pattern is distinctly different than the M61. The HOT heads don't come with high/low rings as standard, but they are compatible.

If I remember correctly, you can go back to the early July time frame to read about it, and see beamshots.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff has a bunch of drop-in modules that fit in P60 type flashlights like surefire 6P and so on.

such as M61, M61 "Low", et cetera.

The Hound Dog is a deviation from the standard and he reaches for performance, not comforming to the pre-existing standard. So you have to buy your own MD4 body or the entire lite from him. It's a very nice device but proprietory technology AFAIK.

If you require "two outputs and maximum around 500 Lumens", you don't want the M61** family, you want the Malkoff MD* stuff that can generate, e.g. the "HOT" module.

the "HOT" needs its own head, not a P60 bezel as far as I know and mounts to the MD4 body.

I would just probably skip all the intermediate models and go directly for the Hound Dog, or maybe Wildcat, but they are not exactly EDC material.

I would suggest getting a low model for a cheap Surefire 6P, you can get them for 20-30 tokens and then installing maybe Malkoff M61LL in it for every day carry but for ultimate lumens, get the Hound Dog, if the finances allow multiple devices.

This is IMO and there are about one thousand one of them on this site.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
An MD2 body and switch, paired with an MDX22.3-M61HOT Throw Head, with a high/low ring will deliver the output you desire. All of these components are located in the Malkoff Flashlights Parts section.

I haven't compared my HOT to other optic-based lights to determine the approximate low mode output, it is likely around 5 lumens.

The standard aluminum ring will need to be removed, and the high/low ring screwed in its place. If you ask Gene (Mr. Malkoff) to install it for you, it's likely that he'll do it.

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks Grizzman! I have now studied enough on the subject to work out you provided the answer in your first post. Didn't realise low setting was that low though.. 10 lumens is not enough to take trail walking at night I suppose? One of the purposes of the light was to double as hunting/backpacking spotlight, and the lower setting for hiking in.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
With fully night adapted eyes, it may be bright enough for outdoor close range use on low, but it's definitely not ideal. I just compared its output on low to that of my old E2D LED Defender (which also uses an optic). According to my light meter, the Surefire, with a specified low mode output of 5 lumens, is brighter than the HOT.

While you specify the need for 500 lumens, the 325 delivered by the cool M61 is completely adequate within 50 yards. The increased spill light (light outside of the central hot spot) makes it supremely useful on low, even outdoors.

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks again grizzman. I just read somewhere Gene could customise the resistance on the hi/lo ring to allow more power on low setting but not sure if this is still offered. btw I tried to find the beam reports but could not, just wondered as to the color and Flood/spill on the M61HOT if anyone has seen one in use?

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
The low setting on an MD2 with an M61 is plenty bright for walking in to a stand in the dark, and I agree with Grizzman, don't get too hung up on absolute lumen numbers. The MD2/M61 combo is an outstanding light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I first arrived my minds eye was picturing lights with 7-14 lumen lows would be like carrying a candlestick.

Well it kinda is...a candle with one of those pencil size citranella torch wicks and a reflector to send all that light forward.

So like Scout said don't let the low number fool you.

I have several 'household' lights that start on low for lighting shadows in lit rooms and 14 is plenty. When your eyes are adapted 14 is surprisingly bright.

The turnkey MD2 with a hi/lo ring is stellar performer. On hi it throws plenty of light foward yet lights the night in your peripheral vision. You'll be in a 150'+ long by 75'+ wide zone of sunshine in darkness...
The low is very useful too. Matter of fact at 2am with night adapted vision, almost too bright.

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, there is a perfect solution for you, just get the Malkoff 361 drop-in. It has a high of 400 lumens, a medium of 80, and a low of 15.

I have it in a tiny little 2x123A twisty body/head (which Mr. Malkoff also sells). By twisting quickly on-off you cycle through the three settings.

The high has outstanding output and throw, the medium is perfect for near illumination, especially outdoors when moving. And the low is quite useful, say you are now not moving and just want to do something near your person (read a map, etc).

All in all it is just a spectacular product.

I know it seems to be a bit outside of your parameters, but consider you can cover all your needs in such a tiny form-factor and not need to go all the way to some quite large flashlight such as the Hound-Dog. You get a lot more than you "lose" by having a 3rd level and having a bit less (and not really visible to your eye) high output.

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will cast another vote for an MD2 with an M61 and the Hi/Low ring. That combo is my favorite flashlight of all time and you can get it as a turn key light from the Malkoff site for what I consider to be a tremendous value.

The low is plenty bright for walking on a dark trail at night without wasting lumens and the high is plenty bright for almost anything within 100' of you.

As other have said, you can opt for the HOT head if you want to bump the lumens and throw up but you lose some spill which makes the regular M61 the perfect generalist.

If you want even more output, Malkoff makes a single 18650 version of the Hound Dog called the (you guessed it) Hound Dog 18650 which has a higher low than the M61 (30 lumens) and a higher high (800 lumens) . It also has a throwier beam profile but still has adequate side spill for most tasks. It's a bit more expensive and a little larger but is built like a tank and will last you forever just like all Malkoff's stuff.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That MD2 slides so easily in and out of my pants pocket.

^^ simple elegance

Simply put the current M61 hi/lo light does all one needs already. The rest would simply be like carmel syrup on heavenly hash ice cream.

Last edited:

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow Malkoff junkies,

I recently purchased a MDX22.3-M61HOT Throw Head, MD2 Body and a High/Low ring, and together they make quite an impressive little flashlight!

Awesome throw and output, decent battery life (3400 mAh 18650) and a handy size. Being able to switch to low output made it a perfect build for me.

Here is a quick pic of some of my Surefire GM plug-in lights and other GM lights I had at hand. the impressive MD2 build is in the center. Carrying it right now on Holiday!

uc

Click for Big Image

- Thomas

Mbehe87

Newly Enlightened
That MD2 slides so easily in and out of my pants pocket.

^^ simple elegance

Simply put the current M61 hi/lo light does all one needs already. The rest would simply be like carmel syrup on heavenly hash ice cream.

Did you drill the lip of the tailcap to attach your lanyard?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've confirmed that the HOT is definitely bright enough for trail walking at night. The spill area isn't as large in diameter as an M61, but it's just as bright, and the spot is significantly brighter.

While it's not quieas good as an M61 for close range outdoor use, the impressive throw more than makes up for it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If he has blemished stuff in stock they're usually an item with a scratch or a ding.

When you go to the site click 'all' in the products box. They were a little more than half regular price and a Sharpie enamel pen made it look good as new.
It had a scratch like a drill bit slipped or something.