Olight s30r II dark spot

nelly5

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I just received my s30r II. It's a great light. My only concern is that there seems to be a slight dark sport on all brightness settings. I blew the dust off the lens, and the spot remains. It seems to be more visible the further the light is from the target. I don't mean to be nit picky, but I don't believe that dark spot should be there from what I've read in forums.
Have you any suggestions?

Thank you.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Hello. I just received my s30r II. It's a great light. My only concern is that there seems to be a slight dark sport on all brightness settings. I blew the dust off the lens, and the spot remains. It seems to be more visible the further the light is from the target. I don't mean to be nit picky, but I don't believe that dark spot should be there from what I've read in forums.
Have you any suggestions?

Thank you.

I also has this small spot on my S30RII. It also appears on some other Baton lights i have. I tried take a photo, but the spot does not appear on a picture. I dont know why there is a spot, but its so small that it does not bother me.

Harold_B

Enlightened
For the purpose of showing the dark spot in the image I would suggest using the lowest output setting of the light and taking a pic with your phone. If you can avoid tapping the screen for autofocus and lighting adjust then you might get a reasonable picture of the beam. Otherwise you can try shining the light (on low setting) at a plain white paper and take a picture from the back side.

clintb

Enlightened
Is it in the center hot spot? If so, that'd be a donut. Every one of my Olight Baton's have a donut. S30R Ti, S15R, S10R II; every one.

Harold_B

Enlightened
Is it in the center hot spot? If so, that'd be a donut. Every one of my Olight Baton's have a donut. S30R Ti, S15R, S10R II; every one.

Are these all TIR optic or CPC designs? Either one will create a donut although the TIR is more sensitive in my experience and it's usually caused by the emitter being in the wrong location relative to the focal point. If the LED was updated sometime in the production lifetime then the emitter height might be higher. You could try loosening the bezel that holds the optic to move it out from the LED and see if you can focus the beam correctly.

clintb

Enlightened
Are these all TIR optic or CPC designs? Either one will create a donut although the TIR is more sensitive in my experience and it's usually caused by the emitter being in the wrong location relative to the focal point. If the LED was updated sometime in the production lifetime then the emitter height might be higher. You could try loosening the bezel that holds the optic to move it out from the LED and see if you can focus the beam correctly.
The only TIR ones I know of from Olight are the S1 and S2. The one in question is just a good (sorta) 'ole smooth reflector.

Oops, just realized I listed my S30 Ti as a rechargeable and it's not.

Harold_B

Enlightened
Would be the same with a parabolic reflector as far as focus. If you look straight into the reflector (with the LED off!) the reflector surface should look completely yellow from the center to the edge if the LED emitter is at the focal point.