green led streamlight stylus3

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I finally measured the ma consumption of the green Stlylus3; it was 60ma...my question is, if it takes less energy to produce light from a narrower part of the spectrum (green vs. white) why is the Stylus green using the same amps as the white?
Is the green light much brighter than the white when measured by a more objective method than my eye????
...by the way I got mine from BCS.com (Big Country Supply for $12.95)

Brock

Flashaholic
Basically you get more light for the same power. Green is more efficent than white. So if you had a green and white at the same brightness the green would use far less power. but instead of using a 5600 mcd white they use a 18,000 mcd green.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Brock! It's hard to tell by eye because the white does seem to wash out the green a bit -- but on second look the green is quite bright, and has a broader pattern...
How do you know what kind of green led Streamlight is using in the Stylus? Could I have researched this myself?

Brock

Flashaholic
I don't actually know for sure, I was guessing from what I have read off Craig Johnsons site. http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/zone.htm If you really want to know what is in there send it to him, he will review it and send it back. I can just look at a LED and tell you what it is and all the details about it.

Brock

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of question the concept of buying colored led flashlights because they are brighter (green for example). No doubt that the green led light source produces more light than white. However, functional lighting is all about reflected light. A monochromatic source will produce very little reflected light from any object except that which is of similar color to the source. So, you end up with a light that is bright when you look at it directly (or its reflection off of a white sheet of paper), but not very bright after it has reflected off of the many colored things in the real world.

I can see the use of colored leds for situations where you need to protect night vision, but not general flashlight use.

Reminds me of the low pressure sodium lights you still see on some highways. It's an ultra efficient light source, but it is so moncromatically yellow that areas lit by it do not seem very bright. The less efficient high pressure sodium lamps have a broader color spectrum and produce more usable light.

Just my 2 cents.
RonM

D

**DONOTDELETE**

... I use the lights mainly for avoiding walking into walls and holes, and finding an occasional object that would otherwise be lost in blackness...
When I bought the green Stylus3 I was hoping to get much longer battery life from the reduced power consumption, but, nooooo....now it's off to the ledmuseum, to get Gregg's address...maybe find a low power colored led to fool with...

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Ted on 01-25-2001 at 12:43 PM</font>