Niteye EC-R16 Overview

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received both of these today from a group buy (thanks dazed1) and had a chance to test them out. I haven't seen any threads dedicated to this little light yet, I'll give a brief overview of what I think of it so far.

Size: A little smaller than my Zebralight SC5 lights but a little longer/fatter than my Zebralight SC32. The head is the main part that is larger, likely to accommodate the electronic switch and the charging port. It is very lightweight but unfortunately does not come with a pocket clip. I'm using a clip on one from another light but it doesn't fit quite right due to the slightly larger tube on this light. The light is flat and tail stands easily :twothumbs

Beam: This light has a smooth reflector and is wider than most 18350/rcr123 light reflectors. The throw is decent for a light this small and compact, it compares favorably with my Nitecore MT10c both in throw and output as well. The beam pattern features a nice size hotspot with a wide flood area. Due to the coating on the lens there is a slight purple fringe on the very edge of the beam profile, however this is only noticeable on a white wall at close ranges. Tint is a cool white but closer to neutral on both samples, probably 5800-6000k with a slight green tint but on lower output levels. At turbo it is a clean and pure white, nice and easy on the eyes with good color rendering for a CW light. It is warmer than your traditional 6300 and 6500k CW lights which I like.

Threads: Smooth threads and unscrews at the head. Comparable to most of my other lights which is a good thing. Light can be locked out by a quarter turn, always a nice option to have with lights using electronic switches! No complaints here :thumbsup:

Charging: Utilizes a small micro USB port covered by a small plastic/rubber flap. I doubt it would be waterproof, more like water resistant. It does come with a micro usb cable. As the light charges a blue light glows under the power button. When done charging the light turns off. Also it has a low battery indicator; when less than 50% battery it blinks slowly with a blue light and when almost depleted it blinks quickly. I haven't experienced the blue light blinking yet for a low battery, I'll see how I like the feature once I see it in person.

Output/battery: Packaging says only 16340 or cr123 however it does fit and operate normally on an 18350 also. This is my battery of choice due to the better fit in the light and better current draw capabilities. Of note is the physical reverse polarity protection in the head of this light. A plastic disk surrounds the contact point on the head, no flat tops for this light unless you remove the disk, which is a little difficult because it actually clips into the circuit board. I tried taking the light apart so I could mod it with an XP-L HI but it doesn't seem mod friendly. The electronic switch and micro USB port along with the way the circuit board is placed in the head makes it difficult to disassemble. I could probably get it but didn't want to risk damaging the light.

UI: The UI is simple but takes a little getting used to especially if coming from a Zebralight. On this light you press and hold to turn on/off. To change modes you click once while the light is on. The mode order is Turbo, High, Medium and Low. It has mode memory and will remember the last level used. I find myself using the 50 and 120 lumen modes most frequently. A nice feature is a double click while on instantly jumps to turbo mode. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to moonlight which would have been a great feature to add.

Overall for the price paid this is an excellent light at a great price! The smooth threads, good output, convenience of charging on the go and ability to use 18350 cells and cr123/rcr123 make this a great little light! Any questions feel free to ask, I'll try to get some beam shots and pictures of the light posted in the next few days.

The only drawbacks I have for this light are the following: No shortcut to low when turned on, no pocket clip, slightly bulky head.

Last edited:

swan

Banned
Thanks Snowlover91 for your impressions on this light, i think the latest niteyes look interesting.

I have a soft spot for any light that runs an 18350 and agree no short cut to low is a negative.

i am wondering have you detected any sign of pwm on the ec-r16.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Snowlover91 for your impressions on this light, i think the latest niteyes look interesting.

I have a soft spot for any light that runs an 18350 and agree no short cut to low is a negative.

i am wondering have you detected any sign of pwm on the ec-r16.

Just finished testing for it with my camera, no PWM at all levels!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, thats good news, nice size reflector and good price, with xpl hi mod potential.

Getting it apart is tricky. The reverse polarity protection ring snaps onto the circuit board.. Then once you get it off you would somehow have to get the switch assembly and micro USB port pushed through their slots then pull the whole assembly out.. Getting it all back in and working could be difficult. I've done some basic to intermediate modding but this one may be a little much for me, I might get brave and try one though :)

swan

Banned
Getting it apart is tricky. The reverse polarity protection ring snaps onto the circuit board.. Then once you get it off you would somehow have to get the switch assembly and micro USB port pushed through their slots then pull the whole assembly out.. Getting it all back in and working could be difficult. I've done some basic to intermediate modding but this one may be a little much for me, I might get brave and try one though :)

Thanks for the info, i think i will purchase one on a deal and either way i like the extra performance of a 18350 light.

patrickbateman5

Newly Enlightened
I do agree with everything you said, this is a very nice light, finish is great, that gungrey color is impressive !

Just one question, do you think that the turbo mode is brighter with a 18350 than a 16340 ? I have a nitecore 18350 IMR on order but i am wondering....

Lucky Duck

Enlightened
Any idea where these might be available? I checked the Group Buy thread & it says these are sold out(?) They aren't listed on Niteye's site either. Limited run? Most odd indeed! :thinking: Update: Just found 'em on Going Gear!

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me the turbo on both rcr123 (same as 16340 I presume?) and imr 18350 seems the same. It is possible it could be 50-100 lumens brighter which at 700+ lumens wouldn't really be a noticeable difference to the human eye.

patrickbateman5

Newly Enlightened
To me the turbo on both rcr123 (same as 16340 I presume?) and imr 18350 seems the same. It is possible it could be 50-100 lumens brighter which at 700+ lumens wouldn't really be a noticeable difference to the human eye.

ok, thank you for the answer. :)

chadvone

Enlightened
Thanks snowlover. Thinking this might be good light to gift. Waiting for your impressions of the low battery warning.

Just seen on there sight, it has a NO/OFF switch. That made me giggle, uh, Smile, I am much to old to giggle.