Need TN32 TN 32 UT Advice.

wholagun

Newly Enlightened
First off, Happy New Year everyone!

I ordered the TN32 UT for my father in law as a gift for when he goes hunting at night and needs a powerful thrower to properly ID the animal from a distance.

I have searched for the web for a clear difference between the TN32 and the TN32 UT but all I find is the TN32 UT has little more throwing power but less lumens than the TN32.

What I want to know from those of you with more experience than me in flashlights is which is a better fit for someone who oftten goes hunting at night needs to correctly ID an animal from a distance. I know he said he needs a flashlight with throwing power and a concentrated beam. As such I purchased the TN32 UT because it had greater throwing power than the TN32, but I am I getting greater range at the cost of brightness/illumination?

Is there a big difference between the TN32 and the TN 32 UT?

Cheers,

ven

Flashaholic
The UT uses the xp-l HI , its not all about how many lumens, its how its presented to the darkness. 600lm in a deft x can give 1,000,000cd , 8400lm in a tn36vn maybe lucky to see 40,000cd.........shallow reflectors compared to deeper ,wider ones(of course further with the wavien collar in the deft helps greatly to) Just exteme examples there........

Here is 2 different LED's in the tn32UTvn, xp-g2 and xpl

TN32UTvn XPL PDT: Lumen 1500/1400 - Lux 402K/400K
TN32UTvn XPG2 PDT: Lumen 885/825 - Lux 537K/500K

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?410340-TN32UTvn-Best-Magnetic-Ring-Thrower

The lumens maybe lower, but the concentrated spot of light is brighter, less spill brightness in the loss of lumens.........

Sure more can go into better detail ,just a rough n ready quick example and nice choice in light:)

:welcome:

wholagun

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, thanks for the information. I was going to exchange the TN32 UT for the TN32 but I will now keep it.

In terms of batteries the instruction guide doesn't say anything about which kind of 18650. I have gone to great lengths to try and find 18640 in my city of Edmonton AB. The only places I can find 18650 batteries are vape shops but they all tell me that that 2600 and 300 maH batteries they sell will not be powerful enough for a high power flash light. Everywhere I look everyone is using 3400 maH batteries, what is the benefit of 3400mah 18650s?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
More throw combined with less lumens results in that the new TN32UT will be an even more dedicated thrower than the predecessor. Which means it will be less suitable for allround use: the improved contrast between the spill and the small and extreme intense hotspot makes it even more uncomfortable at close distance.

ven

Flashaholic
Hi there, its not actually a high powered light with 3 cells, you could run it on 3400 pany B cells if you wanted(stay away from any cells ending in fire like ultra etc etc). In basic terms, the higher the mah the more run time, so take 2300mah and 3400mah, the 3400mah will *roughly* have a 1/3 longer potential run time without going too deep.

Factors which are important are brand of cell and charger. Being a 3 cell light , for convenience a 4 bay charger. Options are Xtar as a brand and nitecore to look into.

So check out places like mtn electronics, going gear ,ilumn supply and get online if needed. If other vape shops and want IMR or INR cells, then samsung 25r are a good option for higher drain cells, 2500mah and 20a rated is more than required. Samsung 30Q are a good all round option for 15 Amp and 3000mah.

Maybe protected would make a more sensible choice if he is new to 18650 fuel............i dont know his circumstance and if he knows the chemistry etc, if you do then all should be good:)

Have a read up on the safety side and also make sure your father in law understands, again decent brands are a must and no leaving untended or over night charging. Although the risks are HUGELY reduced with good branded products, even if there is a 0.001% risk.............its still a risk if makes sense(just an example and no proof on the 0.001%!) Just a point to make , that anything can fail!

swan

Banned
Great quality light, very well made with a big heatsink and nice flat regulated output. I have the tn 32 which is very impressive, might be hard handing it over to your father in law if you try it out first.
One thing i thought i might mention is if you choose protected 3400/3500 cells try and get the shortest ones you can as i can only just squeeze my protected panasonic ncr18650b 3400 cells [69.5mm] in but it bottoms out the springs,so i prefer to use un protected. Maybe someone can chime in with the shortest protected cell with larger capacity.

ven

Flashaholic
Good point swan, as most of my cells now are naked ones(no pcb) i use IMR/INR which are closer to 66mm than the top end towards 70mm. IIRC eagletac make some shorter protected 3100mah cells(not 100%). All 3400 are panasonic, so depending on which the seller/manufacture PCB uses, will change the length all be it slightly . Sure most use seiko PCB's ..........

I would go for 3500mah unprotected 10a LG or Sanyo , or Samsung 30Q .

There is a little mod you can do to the carrier if struggling, that would be small spacers under the legs to extend the carrier a mm or so(small washer/s)