Where would our hobby be without the internet?

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone ever wonder if we would have so many options available, if improvements and upgrades would be so quick, if there would be more than Surefire, Maglite, and Streamlight, or if we would have hand held lights pushing more than 14k lumens if we did not have the internet? I understand we would probably have a magazine or two we could read but I'd say that would be about it. I doubt there would be any more variety of lights in stores than there are now, maybe a few more brick and mortar flashlight only stores, but nothing huge.

I know guns and cars were popular before the internet and plenty of magazines, events, and a wide fan base that kept those hobbies going strong, but they were also a lot more common and in use by a lot more people to begin with when the internet was started than flashlights were. (I'm not saying flashlights were not common, they just weren't being modded and had as much aftermarket support like cars and guns did). I'm sure we would still have somebody like Gene Malkoff to give better quality upgrades to Surefires and Mags but I wonder about the rest of the hobby.

Enough my ramblings, what do you guys think?

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
100 Flashlights, 20,000 lumens each for $1.99!
Send $1.99 and this coupon to:
Flashlight Bonanza
PO Box 3484365
Boville Arkansas 56736-374646984
Please include $129.95 for shipping, allow 6-12 weeks for delivery, void where prohibited, offer not valid with any other offers, flashlights in picture only a suggestion of actual product, full refund available with proper RMA only, Flashlight Bonanza is a subsidiary of JP Mogenberry Capitol Waste Solutions. Mail self stamped address envelopes for a complete set of rules. Vendor license P3847343539862765.349576346

Last edited:

Stream

Enlightened
Flashlight Bonanza
PO Box 3484365
Please include $129.95 for shipping, allow 6-12 weeks for delivery, void where prohibited, offer not valid with any other offers, flashlights in picture only a suggestion of actual product, full refund available with proper RMA only, Flashlight Bonanza is a subsidiary of JP Mogenberry Capitol Waste Solutions. Mail self stamped address envelopes for a complete set of rules. Vendor license P3847343539862765.349576346

This would be it! lol

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight Bonanza
PO Box 3484365

And then when it shows up its a Sipik 68 clone with an XRE

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got heavy into Surefire lights around 1992 and bought whatever my LE dealer had in his showcase and/or catalog. And never sold any, just kept buying. It wasn't until the internet came along that selling was made easy.

The world of lights was so small back then and nothing on earth could compete with Surefire, so buying choices were easy!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We'd all still be using LED Lensers, Mag Lites and Coast lights from box stores when the lights go out while cops n soldiers use Streamlights and SureFires.

Eh, some would have better, but the masses...refer to above statement.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol!

Well, there would definitely be more local meetups without the internet.
Which would be great but how would they be organized? There aren't a lot of us in one area and it isn't a common hobby even with the internet so how would you spread info about a meet? Magazines but that seems like it would be ineffective given we may have one magazine for us.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which would be great but how would they be organized? There aren't a lot of us in one area and it isn't a common hobby even with the internet so how would you spread info about a meet? Magazines but that seems like it would be ineffective given we may have one magazine for us.
Print media is dead because of the internet.

Lighting would be Surefire, Mag and Streamlight for American brands, with a few Led Lenser's thrown in for good measure.

We'd have the 7500k blue LED lights and like them as we wouldn't know better.

Shotgun News was the big player in gun magazines. At one time they were close to 150 pages for the color version with three times per month publication. They're still three times per month but less that 70 pages for the color version. Everything is outdated as the time between submission and print is over two weeks.

Computer magazines were the rage. Same for camera magazines. Print media is dead.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assumed walking/hiking at night with a light and stirring up conversation with like minded others. Also maybe in the flashlight section of specialized stores (gun, camping type stores). Then there would be a friend of a friend who's interested as well.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I think the Internet has enabled higher quality products to succeed, where they might not exist at all if they had to rely on magazines or word of mouth. I live in a small city with limited shopping options, and if not for the Internet, the best flashlights I'd know about are Maglite. I've never seen Surefire or Streamlight in a store here (although they could be and I missed it). There's no Benchmade dealer here. Our sporting goods options are limited to what they carry at ****s and Gander Mountain, and tech products are limited to Best Buy and Staples.

swampgator

Enlightened
I remember asking a buddy way back in 98 or so, "why can't someone make a super bright Mag cut down palm size and powered by lithiums"...
He said it wouldn't work.
Life took over and I forgot about it til I discovered CPF and I realized I wasn't the only one who thought that way.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've probably seen this, seemed appropriate for this conversation

XKCD%20Light-M.jpg

My coworkers enjoyed it...

CaptainPicard

Newly Enlightened
As a kid I remember seeing Mag, SF and SL in stores. Didn't really hear about other brands until much later when I did research on backpacking gear. The internet has provided companies in a lot of fields (including flashlights) the benefit of fast feedback from communities who know a lot about the product in mind. Without the Internet, this would have taken longer, and the technology would have developed slower. While it likely would have still reached what it has today (or even beyond) it would have taken MUCH longer.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Early on I found the internet useful for reviews and always appreciated somebody taking out time to post feedback, not their nit picking complaints mind you but general impressions good or bad.

I suppose that caught on and at some point manufacturers listened. They either listened to what gimmicks would sell or why sales didn't meet hopes.

We're all better off in that regard.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
seery, you had me beat by 3 years, as I didn't find SureFires until 1995.

I'd have a lot more money if I didn't find this place.

I forgot totally about Shotgun News, seems like a lifetime ago! Got that for years.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting and justified question! For sure our hobby had been very limited compared to now. And our knowledge had been the same. SO valuable to discuss a strong interest and share with each other what we know and our personal opinions and experiences!
It could not be possible in the same degree without internet! The wallet had not been empty so regularly either...:laughing:

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Next to me a coworkers is learning how to install some kinda remote contolldd vegas style led thing in his headlights on the internet called HID halos....
Yep, he'd be less poor without youtube.