Surefire Z2 combat light upgrade?

Martym

Newly Enlightened
Have a old Surefire Z2 combat light. Would like to upgrade the head to something newer (brighter) This light has served me well for quite a few years, but it would be nice to upgrade it if possible. Saw some heads on ebay all from china. Looking to upgrade not degrade. That's why I thought I would ask for help here. Any recommendations?
Thanks
Marty

scout24

Flashaholic
Malkoff Devices, and member Nailbender (Customlites) make dropin bulb replacements that are LED, and of high quality. Google both here in the CPF search bar to get an ides of what's available. Personally, a much better path than ebay. :) Welcome, by the way, 6 years into your membership!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Wow. One post in 6 years! A person of few words. :) I think a Malkoff M61NL would really be nice for your Z2. Top shelf USA made product. Potted electronics, good runtime and one mode operation like you're used to with that light. About as bombproof as you are going to get.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Budget ?

Output ?

Modes ?

Great options range from Makoff to Oveready TorchLAB V5 Triple ... [emoji317]

Z2 would have to be bored out to 18mm to fully power the TorchLAB, though.

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Sounds like your knowledgeable enough to recognize the cheap Ebay garbage. Best to stay away from it. You get what you pay for. Pretty simple. While you didn't inquire may I ask if a tailcap upgrade might be forthcoming with your new drop in? The McClicky is sort of the "standard" used but you could already have a Surefire clicky. Not that there is anything wrong with a Z41 twisty. And there is no clicky made that will take more current that a twisty.

Martym

Newly Enlightened
Thank's for the advice everyone. I've checked out both companies that were suggested. Both look like a quality product. Now I just have to wait to hear from Malkoff as to when the head I want will be back in stock. Don't think i need any other tail switch then the one that is on it. Up to 2 posts now.:D:D
Thanks Again
Marty

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your third post will be along the lines of, "holy crap, this upgrade is freaking amazing!"

:D

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also consider the EDC plus drop-ins from Illum.com. They are a very good drop in and built very well. They are a 3 mode drop-in that always starts in high. Nice tint.
I also have numerous Malkoff's as well! ;) Just an option for you.

Martym

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have any reason to not buy The Malkoff head of of Ebay. The one I want is there. And I am assuming it will be cheaper than when Malkoff has it back in stock.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff doesn't make "heads" for the Z2, so I'm also not sure to what you're referring. The M61 series drop-in replaces the P60 incandescent lamp assembly of the Z2, and uses the original Z44 head.

My recommendation is the M61N, which is in stock now.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a love/hate relationship with Ebay, so I don't buy from them often.

Waiting for a reputable dealer, or the man himself, guarantees you know what you're getting for your money.

Martym

Newly Enlightened
Hey I'm a rookie, Meant the drop in module. Kind of feel the same way about Ebay.

Martym

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered the M61N from the Malkoff site. Will let you know how I like it.
As I said before I'm a rookie.
Thanks for the advice.
Marty

Martym

Newly Enlightened
Have been out of town for a week. My Malkoff M61N was waiting in the mail. Installed it, there is quite a difference.Thanks everyone for the advice.
Marty