Scratched nitecore reflector

Dubripper

Newly Enlightened
I ended up taking off the lens to my nitecore flashlight( yah I'm an idiot) and wiped the reflector with a microfiber cloth. It left incredibly fine scratches that are only visible with the lowest light setting. How much could this affect performance, and how much might a replacement be if I send it in?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I ended up taking off the lens to my nitecore flashlight( yah I'm an idiot) and wiped the reflector with a microfiber cloth. It left incredibly fine scratches that are only visible with the lowest light setting. How much could this affect performance, and how much might a replacement be if I send it in?

I don't think your eye will be able to discern any difference. Heck its almost hard to see a great difference shining a flashlight through a clear plastic bag. Try it yourself. What actual percentage of the reflector is damaged in absolute terms. It's like dust. How much is really there in total percentage terms. Probably very little. It is going to grate on your nerves but beyond that I don't think there is an actual real world within the limits of human perception problem based on my accidental messing around with reflectors. I never noticed any real difference but do think they're best left alone. For me the end result was always worse than what was being addressed.

Dubripper

Newly Enlightened
It's good to hear that, and it's grating quite a bit. But I will try the plastic bag and try and rationalize my thoughts lol. And I agree with the end result always being worse.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Try using rubbing compound on it if it becomes an issue....the kind for clear coat.

Basically a headlight restore kit starts out with a burely sanding disc to scrub off the oxidation. Then you progressively scrub with finer and finer sand paper making the scratches less and less noticed. Last step is rubbing compound with it's microscopic scrubbers.

But if it scratched using a micro-fiber cloth?
My goodness that's some soft plastic. You may want to source a better lens because that one is going to be trashed at some point.

ven

Flashaholic
I do believe and have read not to ever attempt to clean a reflector, with any type of cloth anyway..........no matter how fine.

Compressed air is an option, of course not too high pressure.

The best solution for me if it is that noticeable and annoys you enough, or effects the beam, is to return the light........

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try using rubbing compound on it if it becomes an issue....the kind for clear coat.

Basically a headlight restore kit starts out with a burely sanding disc to scrub off the oxidation. Then you progressively scrub with finer and finer sand paper making the scratches less and less noticed. Last step is rubbing compound with it's microscopic scrubbers.

But if it scratched using a micro-fiber cloth?
My goodness that's some soft plastic. You may want to source a better lens because that one is going to be trashed at some point.

It's not the lens, it's the reflector that's scratched.

Canned air will remove 99% of the dust particles that get inside a flashlight.

I've seen a reflector for a Maxa Beam cleaned using foaming soap and water with an alcohol rinse once cleaned to displace any water droplets. Plastic reflectors and the vapor deposited coatings are very soft. Use the canned air in an upright position only. The only air compressor that would be safe for use would be one of the low pressure airbrush diaphragm compressor.

Compressed air from an automotive type compressor contains small traces of water and compressor oil. It's use will lead to further contamination.

Dubripper

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to contact the place I bought it from, and nitecore with zero luck so far

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to contact the place I bought it from, and nitecore with zero luck so far
Since it is user inflicted damage, I doubt that any warranty would cover it anyway. You will probably be asked to pay for a replacement, so I would ask myself how much is it worth to me to remove those scratches. If it is not warranty work, you will probably pay shipping both ways, even if you decide to not pay for a replacement due to cost.

If it bothers you that much, give it to your wife, SO, child, best friend, whomever, and get yourself an unscratched one. And this time Keep Your Hands Off The Lens! ;)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's not the lens, it's the reflector that's scratched.

Canned air will remove 99% of the dust particles that get inside a flashlight.

I've seen a reflector for a Maxa Beam cleaned using foaming soap and water with an alcohol rinse once cleaned to displace any water droplets. Plastic reflectors and the vapor deposited coatings are very soft. Use the canned air in an upright position only. The only air compressor that would be safe for use would be one of the low pressure airbrush diaphragm compressor.

Compressed air from an automotive type compressor contains small traces of water and compressor oil. It's use will lead to further contamination.

Oh yeah....missed that whole reflector part.
Doh!!!

Good tips on the compressed air.

Dubripper

Newly Enlightened
I was noticing off center reflectors and the volt monitor built in to the light is .2 volts off. So I wanted to claim warranty on that and pay for a new reflector

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was noticing off center reflectors and the volt monitor built in to the light is .2 volts off. So I wanted to claim warranty on that and pay for a new reflector
If the LED is very much off center, and the voltmeter is off, why even mention the scratched reflector. If they agree, they will just send you a new light, and the reflector problem is taken care of.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Another thing to consider. Some reflectors are textured and others smooth for throw. Honesty see if someone could really tell the difference with a small light such as a ZL or P60 LED type drop-in. Odds are the difference in actual field use is marginal and here we are talking about micro scratches the OP can only see on the lowest modes and by that we mean the scatches themselves not the beam. Yet there are cries to return the light! I bet if the OP does the bag test his mind will be assured of the irrelevance. Heck I bet the normal dust on the outside of the window is worse and for the most part that is irrelevant as well. I do understand gear OCD. I got it as well but some good use in the field with associated scatches on the window and dings in the anodized surface will cure it. Also no canned air on the reflector! I have one of those squeeze air puffers for my camera lenses that would be safer but then again leave the reflector alone!!!

Last edited:

Dubripper

Newly Enlightened
So nitecore finally got back to me. Where would I find the serial number for the light? The warranty card came blank

Dubripper

Newly Enlightened
So nitecore finally got back to me, and asked for a serial number. My warranty card came blank so where would I find this number?

Dubripper

Newly Enlightened
But I did not see that one. Thank you very much nonotagain, I appreciate it