How to put together a flashlight from basic parts

MattRad

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

so i was looking into making a flashlight from scratch, and im sure there is a similar thread around here somewhere but after a few hours of looking i couldnt find it.....

SO i dont want to start from 'scratch' but i do want to basically put everything together myself. get the parts and assemble them

i was looking at mtnelectronics.com and tried to figure out what Id need
seem like id need these parts:
Flashlight host
LED (MCPCB)
Driver

they make it seem like thats all i would need to get, just to make sure that i get the right size MCPCB and Driver to fit into the flashlight host

my question is, once you get the right size, how do you know what parts to pick?
I think if you get a XM-L2 LED you want Vf to be 3V and can have a MAX of 5.1A
i suppose you just need to make sure that the driver is compatible with the V from your batteries and has the correct Vf

I was thinking about going with the C8 host, a 5.1A
Buck driver (17mm MTN-MAXlp HP 4A-5.5A Low-Profile Buck Driver - 5V-15V), and a xm-l2 u2 LED (CREE XM-L2 U3 3D LED on Noctigon 20mm MCPCB).
I know id still need batteries, but would that be all the parts i need to make a flashlight?

also, whats a mcpcb? is that just short for a chip with an LED mounted on it?

Finally, what other sites are good to find the basic parts to make a flashlight? i guess dealextreme would be one of them, any more?

Anything else i forgot to consider??
Any links to any tutorials that could help me out?

Thanks for helping a noob out

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sizes, Most host descriptions will tell you the sizes needed.
If you get 5.1A at the tailcap you are going to be rocking and need a quality switch and battery to handle that they need to "sorta" match.
Yes MCPCB is the board you mount the LED on. I suggest getting one already mounted. Flowing LEDs requires some extra skill.

I suggest the Convoy hosts too. They sell a basic kit that is a lot of fun. I like the Convoy S DIY stuff. The C8 is more of a thrower.
Look up:
fasttech
banggood
gearbest
DX

Also read around budgetlightforum. Have fun.

sorry I can't type more. baby just woke. I will be back, I am sure others will chime in now and help add to what I missed.

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd add aliexpress and kaidomain, Amazon, and eBay to the list of sites to consider. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. The really cheap sites sell really cheap stuff. They have fairly high DOA and infant mortality rates, and parts often don't live up to the claims. They remain popular because this is often considered an acceptable tradeoff for the low prices. Caveat emptor.

MCPCB stands for Metal Core Printed Circuit Board. It's the metal base that the LED is mounted on. It's rarely used by high volume manufacturers, but is excellent for low volume, including DIY because it means you don't have to solder the LED to a heatsink, which is a bit of a challenge to do well. These are also called 'stars' because of the hexagonal shape most of the larger ones have. Smaller ones are usually round.

5.1A is an awful lot for an XM-L, especially in a handheld, and especially for a beginner. I know people have done it, but it takes excellent heatsinking to keep it cool enough to have a decent life. That's hard do do in a small flashlight, even for an expert. I'd keep it to 3A, which is what the part is rated for, or even less if you don't have good heatsinking.

light-modder

Enlightened
+1 on keeping it at or below 3A, for the reasons DIWdiver stated.

A note on the driver. Decide what Batteries you want to use. For the host and led you've chosen an 18650 is going to be your best bet. That being said you'll need a different driver. The qlite at mtnelectronics is a great choice. Even in "stock" form it gives you great options. Richard does offer custom options for programming, however I'd stick to the standard or "stock" option for your first build and play with the extra options later.
That's my two cents.

duvallite

Newly Enlightened
Glad this thread came up, as I was about to start one too. I'm also thinking about doing my first DIY build, and was thinking about using a Convoy C8 host to build a decent high output 18650 thrower. Sounds like maybe emailing Richard to get his input on which parts to order is the way to go. Any thoughts on which LED would be best to use?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking: If you want to have a thrower, choose the tint you want. Most of the cooler tints will throw a tad further and appear brighter (to me). Then once you pick the tint, get the led dedomed. If done properly this will add to the throw (in most cases). Once again, ask Richard what will work best with your set up once you narrow that down.

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened
I am greener than green when it comes to all this but am very interested in learning and didn't know how. I am going to follow this thread with much interest. Mattrad, any possibility you would post what you end up using for your first DIY build?

jdebo

Newly Enlightened
Awesome thread! I will be subscribing myself! So I just got opened up to this custom flashlight world and can't keep off the forum. Thats usually my personality so I don't know why I seemed shocked! LOL Custom knives, bags/gear, guns, etc have all been the same way. Ive always been the guy to research the crap outta everything I do in life and right now its flashlights. I did surface research years back and found a couple lights that I thought were good for the money. Ive been buying some of them ever since and carrying them daily. Just recently I had one go on the blink (No pun intended LOL) and research picked back up. I saw a youtube post about a Jeff Hanko build and one on a McGizmo. My jaws hit the floor! So right now I'm researching to put together my first simple build to help get a better understanding of an LED flashlight and hopefully score a couple customs off the pros at the same time. Ill be following along here with you guys and keep everyone updated on what my DIY build will be.