LSL-S vs. LSH-S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geode

Enlightened
I searched, but could not find the needle in the haystack - that is a thread that addresses whether there are appreciable differences between these two LEDs.

I have the LSL now, and am thinking of upgrading to a LSH-S.
The LSH-S. The LSH-P is considerably more expensive than the LSH-S.

If you can point me to a thread or offer your opinions based upon seeing the low and high-dome lights, I would be grateful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I feel that the low domes are more comparable to a "flood" type light whereas the high domes have a nice little hotspot along with sidespill which make them a little more desirable - depending on what you use your torch for...

I've not searched for the threads you are looking for, but know there's a ton of opinions and info in the "haystack"!! Be patient and creative in your searches through the ARC, LED, and Homemade threads...

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The high domes usually have a much nicer tint. All the LD Arcs I've seen are some shade of purple.
I sent you a PM Geode. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i personally prefer the LSL..
i had ordered an LSL second for myself and an LSL special for my Uncle, from Arc a couple weeks ago..
my Uncle's light was upgraded to an LSH..

i took them out and compared them..

the LSL lights things up way better.. and the LSH doesn't significantly out-throw the LSL.. @ least not in the pitch black conditions i have here.. the tighter spot is probly better @ piercing light pollution..

but again, the LSL lights things up way better.. i practiced on my cats and i practiced on furniture and paintings.. the LSL simply illuminates more of a recognizeable portion of the target..

the LSL drawback is the color consistency.. many many more LSL's have tinted beam colors when compared to the consistency in the LSH beam color..

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Blinded, agreed. In real life, the LSL is a better tool since the corona of the LSH is too weak to reach out more than very few meters and the hotspot is too small and not significantly brighter than the LSL ... too sad it is gone now ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
bernhard

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
Blinded, agreed. In real life, the LSL is a better tool since the corona of the LSH is too weak to reach out more than very few meters and the hotspot is too small and not significantly brighter than the LSL ... too sad it is gone now ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

The corona of the LSH is actually brighter, if you are referring to the broad area of the beam outside of the hotspot. The LSL does have a wider and smoother hotspot than the LSH, which makes it better for close-up work. I sold my LSL-P and got an LSH-P for reasons of color consistency. Even my LSL-P had a noticeably bluish center in its beam.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am referring to the corona of the LSH outside the true hotspot and the square pattern that is associated. This corona is not bright enough to be of use for more than a few meters in distance. This leaves you with the "Hotspot" area of the LSH's beam, and this hotspot is smaller than the evenly fading hotspot of the LSL, that illuminates a bigger target area with a more evenly spread light, thus being more useful, at least for me.
bernhard

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
right.. the LSL definitely has more brighter flood-light..
fc69c5a0.jpg

(borrowing Sproing's beamshot)
you can see where the huge corona on the LSH outside of the diamond starts to absorb into the middle of the corona on the LSL.. their hotspots are roughly the same size..

VMamie

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, so LSL can be preferrable? But the LSH is whiter in color. Which one would make me happiest? Arrgh! I don't know!

VMamie

Newly Enlightened
Wait a minute Blinded, in your previous post you said you personally prefer the LSL! What what! Argh!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the LSL has been discontinued haha.
you'd have a better chance of getting a white beam in an LSH..
but if you want an LSL you'd have to cruise the BST forums and Auction Notice forums here on CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
for 98% of us it is the LSH.
the other 2% like me had their chance for an LSL, they're history now.
bernhard

ChrisA

Enlightened
i agree with ryan and bernhard - i prefer the low dome lsl over the high dome lsh because i like the flood type beam better for close to medium range illumination. the slight discoloration of my edc lsl (a bit on the green side) doesn't bother me at all - it's brighter than my lsh-s and if i don't shine it at a white wall the tint goes unnoticed.

the lsh-p is another beast - it's definitely brighter than the any of my lsls and throws much better. that's why i keep mine in a BOB with a fresh cell in each if i ever feel the need for more throw (or just to impress folks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

chris

VMamie

Newly Enlightened
OK. This is the reason why I am freaking out about this comparison. I currently am the proud owner of the LSL-ST. I like you love the flood. It simply fills a dark room like no other. I have never owned any other Luxeon nor ARCs besides this one. My first and only. My precious!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I have a collimator rattle that PGransee advised me to return for an exchange, cos it might cause the Lexan to not hold out against water pressure, in case of immersion, the collimator is supposed to be tight against the Luxeon and the Lexan I suppose to maintain absolute water tightness.

Now if I returned it and they give me and LSH-St, in exchange, cos the LSLs are non-production, would I be happy? I was kinda disappointed with the green and purple tinges of the LSL-St but have since come to appreciate it abilities at filling the room and its absolute brightness.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
V.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm that's a question for Pete..
if he didn't have an LSL to exchange i think he could be persuaded to fix your light.. but then again maybe not 'cause he's so busy with the Arc4 and possibly even the Arc5..

you should e-mail him or PM him.

dtsoll

Enlightened
V., I think you would also be very happy with an LSH. You could not go wrong either way. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
VMamie said:
OK. This is the reason why I am freaking out about this comparison. I currently am the proud owner of the LSL-ST. I like you love the flood. It simply fills a dark room like no other. I have never owned any other Luxeon nor ARCs besides this one. My first and only. My precious!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I have a collimator rattle that PGransee advised me to return for an exchange, cos it might cause the Lexan to not hold out against water pressure, in case of immersion, the collimator is supposed to be tight against the Luxeon and the Lexan I suppose to maintain absolute water tightness.

Now if I returned it and they give me and LSH-St, in exchange, cos the LSLs are non-production, would I be happy? I was kinda disappointed with the green and purple tinges of the LSL-St but have since come to appreciate it abilities at filling the room and its absolute brightness.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
V.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry too much the lsh is still a flood of light. I had to stand in a dark room and flash a lsl and lsh on and off to see the difference. The lsl does have a little brighter corona but not enough for me to be concerned about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.