Another 3P Clone

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I've been wanting to assemble a 3P clone for a while as an EDC and finally put one together with the following parts;

Since Malkoff recommends a protected cell for this drop-in, my first attempt to power the new light was with a KeepPower 18350 900mAh Protected Button Top, and that resulted in a FAIL - I did not notice that the length of this cell is 38.2mm and is too long to fit. I then tried the KeepPower IMR18350 750mAh High Discharge Flat Top (which is 35mm long) and that fits just fine, but I'll need to be carful not to draw the cell down too far as the M361 drops out of regulation at 3.4 volts. KeepPower recommends not allowing the cell to drop below 3 volts, but at that point the light output is greatly diminished, giving visual indication that the cell is low.

I tried one of my DarkSucks clips and it fits fine, but I find there's not enough length forward of the tail cap going into the pocket for it to be totally secure. So for this light, I'm using a SolarForce lanyard ring and a DIY finger lanyard for carry in a empty pocket. A slight twist of the Oveready tail cap prevents accidental activation.

The light fits in my hand comfortably and I find the 15/80/400 output selection very useful. I did a side-by-side comparison with my normal EDC light, a Quark Tactical QT2L-X head on a singe AA body, powered by a AW IMR 14500 cell: in turbo mode (which lasts about 30 seconds), the Quark is brighter but as it ramps down out of turbo mode and levels off, the output ends up about the same as the M361 on high. I have the Quark set to 40 lumens for my second selection, but I find the 15 and 80 settings on the M361 more useful.

While the Quark's beam is cooler with not hotspot, the M361 has a defined hotspot which gives it better throw. The Quark's beam is more of a flood light with brighter spill, but the spill of the M361 is more than adequate. Overall, I think the beam pattern of the M361 is more useful.

The new 3P clone exudes quality and a has very solid feel. In terms of durability, it sure seems the 3P clone will stand up to more abuse. The Quark weighs 2.4 ounces with cell, the 3P clone 4.4 ounces with cell.

Finishing touch on the new 3P clone will be a replacement bezel ring, just not sure which one I'll be going with yet. The Oveready smooth Delrin ring seems like a natural choice.

I'll start carrying the new light this week and I'll see how it works out. So far, I like what I see.

Photos

lego-1.jpg

lego-2.jpg

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice set up! Here's mine from Oveready set up as a 18500 twisty with a Malkoff M61NLLLL.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my goodness those are awesome!

bykfixer, I'm feeling your pain in a very real way...

Thanks for sharing, guys!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another one...
Malkoff MD1 body, MD2 head, OR Triad tail, ZeroRez Shorty, M61N drop in and AW 17500. A bit small for my hands, but a great, no compromise pocket light. I'm very fond of it, but it lives with my wife.

MD1.jpg

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it. But when I look at Oveready website there is only 18350 bodies available, did you mean that?

TORCHLAB ZEROREZ SHORTY Z41 BRASS INSERT (TWISTY+15MM) Using one of these you're able to use a 18500 cell in a 18350 host.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
TORCHLAB ZEROREZ SHORTY Z41 BRASS INSERT (TWISTY+15MM) Using one of these you're able to use a 18500 cell in a 18350 host.

Aha! That's nice! I like the idéa of having a lightweight 18500 light with a Malkoff dropin. Do you know if Keeppower 18500s fit in that body? I ordered a bunch of these some year ago but they are too wide to fit in my Malkoff and Surefire bodies.
Which reminds me that I should soon charge them up to prevent them to be too discharged...

Last edited:

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if the Keeppower will fit I only have AW and Efest.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

The FiveMega version.
He calls it the 18350.

Outfitted with a Malkoff M31L I had laying around until the M31W arrives.

Edit: It has the M61w now.
Wow, wow, wow that drop in is sweet.

Last edited:

jdboy

Enlightened
FiveMega 3P body with Triad tailcap in the first pic and the second photo has a Surefire tailcap with ZeroRes Shorty for use with a 18500 battery.

116ucqv.jpg

11ki5w7.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Pure SolarForce on the outside.
Rayovac 2aa Indestructable setup on the inside.