Help Me Replace A Classic

holygeez03

Enlightened
I have been searching for years to replace my Quark AA Tactical Neutral light that I use with a 14500... I would like something with the same size and features, but with a more modern LED and output.

Must Have:

1xAA Size

14500 Compatibility

Neutral LED

Forward "tactical" clicky

Always high/turbo momentary

The Eagletac D25A2 Tactical seems pretty close, if it had a 1xAA tube and 14500 compatibility.

I am willing to go with a 1x18650 light, if it is super compact and fulfills the other criiteria.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would try to purchase another Quark and mod it with a neutral, newer LED.

I have two that I have modded. One with a Nichia 219b, the other with a XP-G in a 5b tint.

The Nichia gets a lot of use...

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
The Eagletac D25A in neutral tint fits all your requirements except I think it does not always come on on high.

holygeez03

Enlightened
There is a D25A that has a forward-clicky (with momentary) and official 14500 support?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a D25A that has a forward-clicky (with momentary) and official 14500 support?
"official".......well, I haven't been fond of running that particular light on a 14500, even though you can. Here is what it says in the manual.

* Using 4.2V li-ion direct drives the LED and yields maximum output at the expense of extensive heat generated from the LED. Limit each usage to less than fives minutes (or less than one minute each with freshly charged li-ion for the first couple times). Active cooling (blowing cool air toward the light) or passive cooling (holding the light in your hand) helps preventing excessive heat built at the LED. Turn off the light to allow it to cool down if you find the flashlight too hot to hold. Do not leave the light running unattended with li-ion. During direct drive, output at low and medium mode will be higher than normal.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ET D25A clicky is a reverse click switch and so you won't have the momentary capability that you are looking for. The Nitecore MT10A will do everything you're looking for. It's kind of a big light for single AA but then the mass can handle the heat better than a D25A.

edit: whoops, forgot you are after neutral LED...........Nix this idea.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Yeah, it's always something... momentary and neutral are required... guess I'll keep using the Quark for certain scenarios... thanks for your responses hiuintahs, let me know if you think of something.

The MT10A seems like it would be pretty close to acceptable, if it could be modded to a neutral emitter... even better might be an XP-G2 for more throw... which also make it more worth the bulk.

Last edited: