I think I have all the lights I'll ever need!

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Is that possible? :confused:

I have a bunch of them, some 5 times over, but can only use one at a time. Now I'm wondering if I've gone too far? :sweat:

The only thing I worry about is what if in a few years a new LED comes out that is an unbelievable upgrade? Then I'm going to be bummed out sitting on all these old tech lights! :mad:

Maybe I worry too much? :green:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
New things will come along, but huge "game changing" advances are exceedingly rare. Your lights will be very usable for a long, long time.

But hey, if you're really worried about it learn to mod. It's fun, and you can maybe keep your favorites up to date. :)

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumen wise, for throwers, I'll stop chasing it when I realize I can't even see that far in daylight. Until then, anything less than quadrupling the lux is not a worthy upgrade. For general purpose lights or flooders, I'll stop when they're so bright, it hurts. Doubling the lux is my minimum upgrade criteria here.

Runtime wise, I'll stop chasing it when it stays on longer than I'll live, barring unforseen incidents of course. In the meantime, I will not consider anything less than doubling the runtime at the same output to be a worthy upgrade.

Given these upgrade criteria, I don't think I would end up with that many (dated) lights.

Jim Fairbairn

Newly Enlightened
Good thing you're not into guitars & amps.;)

I have a bunch of them, some 5 times over, but can only use one at a time. Now I'm wondering if I've gone too far? :sweat:

The only thing I worry about is what if in a few years a new LED comes out that is an unbelievable upgrade? Then I'm going to be bummed out sitting on all these old tech lights! :mad:

markr6

Flashaholic
HAHA I'm pretty much there. Been there before, then something new comes out that I must have.

But I really make an effort to keep my "collection" to 12 lights or less (not counting cheapo/freebie lights). Some older ones are backup/car types, so they don't get used much at all. I guess the 6 or so "main lights" I have do everything I need and more.

ven

Flashaholic
EDC- many different options available
Throwers-again, single or multi cell
Flooders- as above
All rounders- as above

Mini types like 10180 cell for key chains

Then metals, alloy HAIII/ ti/ stainless/copper/brass flavours

Do you have these covered, if not then more options for you

Customs- again lots of options for an extra special light

Ones side lined and not used, be it dont like tint or UI(maybe both) simply sell and refresh! New lights.........

LED's, got most ,xm-l2 u2/u3/u4 etc to nichia 219 B or A/C ,XP-L/XP-L Hi/MT-G2/xhp35/xhp50/xhp70/MKR................guess you know where i am going

So lots of variety/falvours out there, imho 5 of one light is a little extreme in some cases, maybe 2 and a back up if liked so much. Get some different brands,some examples of random- nitecore,fenix,surefire,malkoff,oveready,SWM, eagtac, HDS,gizmo etc etc etc guess you know where i am going again

No you dont have enough, i think you need more variety tbh:D I also think you can fund them with some duplicates so free..........

scout24

Flashaholic
I suppose it's possible. Just haven't hit that point yet myself. I do plateau every now and then, and something else comes out. Surefire Sidekick, Olight S1, Vinh's ToolVn for instance. When the Quark Smart gets ironed out and the Android app is released, I'll order one of those. :)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

The technology of dark hasn't changed from the beginning of time. It's still dark so yeah your lights will still work. Honestly I haven't seen a massive jump from the time of the Cree revolution though some of the highs they can get today from a single primary is amazing still how often does someone really use the very highest mode? For the most part the same LED lights I got 8 or so years ago are just fine. On the downside a good knife made of an older school tool steel such as O1 or 1095 will still be nice after they bury my bones despite being made of old tech materials but electronics rarely transcend time. However the only time when it comes to gear that counts is the time when it's needed as such the past or future IMHO aren't all that important. Dust in the wind.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't run out of the need for new lights, I just run out of money.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I view most all of my High end/customs as hosts. So, to me, they technically will never get obsolete. I am banking on LED tech being like Incandescents. Should last 100 or so years before something new breaks out main stream. :)

How many does it take to have all you will ever need? For some, it is probably zero, others 100! lol

Seriously, this is sorta like the conversation I was having with a non flashlight friend. He started it, and he asked what would the basic/bare minimum kinda light gear everyone/every household should own. So I sorta answered: Small keychain AAA, Small AA for hand, Nice hand held that can run either two CR123 or one 18650 that is a flood, same thing that is a thrower. Then one camping lantern that runs either 18650s, AA, or Ds. One Maglite LED 2D or 2C of general use and or a loaner, One large thrower that runs a few 18650s and of course one large flooder. Then a good quality Headlamp. Then a few quality 18650 cells & some eneloop & lithium AA & AAAs. Then of course a good charger. That about covers it.
So I come to about 8 or 9 lights depending on how you shake and bake it.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
My goal is to just keep the ones I use or that serve a different purpose. I don't like having extra things laying around or being stored that I don't use. Problem is that I definitely have all the lights I NEED but I can't stop looking!! Ti3\TIS stainless steel handle late night bathroom runs and uber low light, D25a handles all around task light chores, E12 in our cars, Ld22 215 lumen version handles outdoor stuff where I need a bit more light and some throw, 3D Maglite handles my don't need it but looks and feels cool needs, and an E01 handles my keychain. I have a Lumintop tool that I use now and again fitted with a Preon P1 head but I tend to grab one of the others before that one. Can't get the LD11 (had one and gave it to my brother) and the LD22 2015 out of my head. Keep coming up with reasons why I need them but I most definitely don't. Will I get one of them or both....??? Probably. Why? Not sure.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Nearly a year ago I started this thread in which I vowed NOT to increase my collection, figuring I had more than enough lights at the time. I've since purchased and kept for myself -- not counting gifts for others -- an additional 13 lights in 2015:

Foursevens 1) QT2A-X, 2) QK2A, 3) Atom AAF, 4) Mini ML,
L3 Illumination 5) L10C, 6) L11C,
Eagletac 7) D25A Ti, 8) D25C Ti, 9) D25A Mini,
10) Zebralight H52w,
11) Olight S15,
12) Lumintop Tool Cu, and
13) Rayus C01.

There may be another one or two that I'm forgetting =\ In any case, my acquisition rate in 2015 averages more than 1 new light per month. During that time, I've given a bunch away (mostly junky 3xAAA lights that I had lying around unused), and I sold 1 nice Preon 1 Ti. So I suppose I need to unload a few more lights to keep myself honest. The sad thing is, there are still a few lights that interest me... I feel like such an addict. But hey, it's a harmless habit, right? ;)

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
Good thing you're not into guitars & amps.;)

Ain't that the truth. I've been into guitars and other musical instruments for many years, and it's not uncommon to have 10+ guitars and several amps, costing several thousand dollars each, and 50+ pedals costing several hundred dollars each. :faint: Buying a flashlight feels like pocket change in comparison. :D

Though I'm very new to buying any expensive flashlights, I too wondered if they'd be obsolete in a few years, but it seems the output and battery life of many current models is nearing what's possible with the batteries being used. I haven't done the math, but I'd be surprised if it were even possible to make a flashlight that could put out 2000 lumens for two hours on a single 18650 battery, thus making my current flashlights relatively 'obsolete'.

Taz80

Enlightened
I have all the lights I'll ever need, and then some, and then some more. BUT, then something new comes out, like the Klarus FH10. I'm still holding out but who knows how long that will last. And I don't even have any real use for it. Heck I want the BK30 just because I think it's a cool light and I don't even ride a bike anymore. I think I might have a problem.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update. I no longer have the LD22 that I mentioned in my last post in this thread a few hours ago. Nice guy came over to do some work at my house (roof/attic). Had a coast headlamp on. I was outside with him checking out sections of the roof and it was getting dark. I kept adding light to what he was looking at with my Fenix. He mentioned how bright my light was a few times and asked a few questions. I gave it to him when he left. He was PUMPED. One way to keep the number of lights down :)