Newbie: Ordering from Overseas Vendors - Tips?

Muzzleblast

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am new here and just beginning my journey into the world of modern LED flashlights. I have on ordered my first two lights, an Xtar S-1 and an Olight SRMini from U.S. based dealers. Better deals perhaps could have been had from overseas vendors, but I am more comfortable buying fairly expensive gear from a U.S. dealer should customer support be needed. So, dealer direct, or through Amazon or eBay seems generally worth the cost premium for my piece of mind.

That said, I have noted some interesting products that are only available from offshore, and some really steep discounts (hopefully not "clones") from offshore. My only real experience has been with a "wrong item shipped" case ordered through eBay. After an extended email chain, pictures, lack of response, etc. I finally had to rely on Paypal to step up. I know there are several offshore vendors who pride themselves on selling quality goods and customer satisfaction. Even so, stuff can happen. Would anyone here have any tips or "lessons learned" to share for protecting one's self from while dealing directly with offshore flashlight vendors.

Thanks

1DaveN

Enlightened
I think it depends on the seller - for example, I've made a couple of purchases from Fasttech, and been thoroughly satisfied. The last one was an Xtar VP2 charger that was about 25% cheaper than I'd seen it in the US. The shipping took a solid 3 weeks, so that's something to consider. And for something like a flashlight that might end up needing a repair someday, I agree with you about the benefits of buying in the US.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought a lot of small things from BangGood and GearBest, but nothing really expensive except for my EA11. Gearbest had a deal going for 33% off that I couldn't resist. All my other big lights I have bought from US vendors. I have had no problems with either vendor, and plan on continuing to patronize them.

I agree with 1DaveN on the US vendors in case of warranty work. The only thing I would add is be careful with Amazon. If it says 'sold by Amazon', then they will handle the warranty. If it says 'sold by XXX' then Amazon is just the broker/shipper, and the warranty support is up to whoever XXX is.