SL Ultrastinger Beamshots

led-head

Newly Enlightened
For $99, this torch is incredible. 510 meters? Totally doable for this SL. The hotspot in these photos is about 100 feet away. It can easily cast the same laser like focus several hundred feet away. Here are the high, medium, and low modes...

IMG_20160105_184110_zpsztktnjiv.jpg
IMG_20160105_184121_zpscuaxfezb.jpg

IMG_20160105_184138_zpssp17dg6q.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
How about 200 yards? No offense meant and your beamshots are beautiful but any flashlight that size will illuminate 100 feet.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wife gave me a Stinger LED for Christmas. They call it a Stinger for good reason.
I'm so stoked with it.

The pencil beam drills a hole in darkness 500' easy and the spill lights your peripheral at least 100'. And that's the 350 lumen model...

Can't imagine being on the wrong end of the beam of an UltraStinger! Yikes!!

led-head

Newly Enlightened
How about 200 yards? No offense meant and your beamshots are beautiful but any flashlight that size will illuminate 100 feet.

I have another post where I took one comparing the Ultrastinger beam with the GX30L2DRs at about 500 feet. The problem is, it's harder to make things out at that distance with my camera phone. A good rule of thumb with the Ultrastinger is, if you can make it out in daylight, you can see it with the Ultrastinger at night.

led-head

Newly Enlightened
Wife gave me a Stinger LED for Christmas. They call it a Stinger for good reason.
I'm so stoked with it.

The pencil beam drills a hole in darkness 500' easy and the spill lights your peripheral at least 100'. And that's the 350 lumen model...

Can't imagine being on the wrong end of the beam of an UltraStinger! Yikes!!

I'm curious to see how the base model compares with the HL. My HL is pretty sweet but it's definitely a better flood light than a throwy light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The HL is a warehouse lighter. Gives a nice even light over a greater distance than what you call base lights. Yet throws just as far. It's just that the light is so evenly distributed it doesn't appear as the the same throw...but it is.

The HL and my LED will both throw a beam the length of a football field very well goal post to goal post.
My LED will barely light the sidelines. Your HL lights the entire field.

Hope that makes sense.

Many figure on the High Lumen Streamlight to become a space station signaler. But what Streamlight did was use all the extra output for flooding the area the pencil beam already reached.
And they did it well.

You need a big head light for marathon distance throw.

Streamlights words:
http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/education/apps-and-beams.html

Last edited:

BigDogg795

Newly Enlightened
I picked up an LED UltraStinger as an upgrade to my LED Stinger HP...my only complaint is that it's way too easy to blind yourself if you're not careful. The throw on the beam is amazing compared to my Fenix PD35; two different lights with two different purposes for me.

But it's indispensable on traffic stops especially on vehicles with dark tinted windows.

Not that I'm looking to mess around with something that I rely on but have there been any worthwhile mod's for the light yet?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ not a lot of love for the Streamlight products here at the forum.

Not that's it's a hate thing...
I suppose it's like vanilla ice cream...
Everybody who's tried it liked it, but nobody gets real excited until you speak of rocky road or heavenly hash...(ie SureFire etc)

But you might find some stuff in the modders section.

I'd like to see them dial back a bit on the spot for a few of their products,...for the reason(s) you cite... but instead just stick with lower output models.

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlights are boringly reliable. That is why they don't get too much love around here. Not cutting edge, but good turn key solutions for the non-hobbyist.