Pal Gold Vs. OneStar...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Brock :

Do you have pics of the onestar to compare to the pal gold ?

BTW thanks for the review you made on the onestar.

Thnx
AlexGT

Brock

Flashaholic
(going and getting camera and lights)

Ok here is the pic of the lights, both are at the brightest settings. Gold on the left and Onestar on the right. If you have the gold the Onestar is the same size as the outter circle of light. Again I like it without any lens.

gold-onestar.jpg

gold-onestar-lens.jpg

gold vs Onestar without lens in place

gold-baton.jpg

And finally gold vs the new Streamlight Baton, I had the camera out anyway
smile.gif

Brock

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marko:
Pics of OneStar vs. Pal Gold with lens reversed ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll go ahead and field this one.
Pictures coming up in the next post - I have to disconnect and reboot though in order to get the pictures from my camera to my computer.
frown.gif

See ya in about 15 mins...

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marko:
Pics of OneStar and Pal Gold with lens reversed ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

pal81.jpg

Gold and Onestar with normal lens configuration.

pal80.jpg

Gold with the lens flipped and Onestar.

The pictures appear grainy because I used a popcorn ceiling as a target - I don't have a large enough space on the wall to shoot two lights at once.
frown.gif

onestar3.jpg

Here's the Onestar on the smooth target. Mine seems to have a very obvious blue outer ring that Brock's sample does not have.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

Marko

Newly Enlightened
Thanks !

Gold looks pretty much like OneStar, no big difference.
Maybe not so clean spot,
but the brightness looks about same.

Here is no dealer (PALight) in Finland that I know of,
so those pictures help me a lot. Thanks again !

-Marko

phyhsuts

Enlightened
How did Marko came to the conclusion that the OneStar and Gold have similar intensity? They look very different to me. Just look at photos in post of Telephony of 02-02-2001.

Marko

Newly Enlightened
Well, in my original post (02-01-2001) I was looking "Pics of OneStar vs. Pal Gold with lens reversed ?"

So in my opinion, there is not much difference between OneStar and Gold (when lens is flipped). Maybe I should go visit optician... ?
grin.gif

phyhsuts

Enlightened
Can KenBar please tell me how he ordered his Onestar from Light Tech? Could not find anything on their website on the One star
shocked.gif
Many thanks in advance.

phyhsuts

Enlightened
Sorry if I sounded (read?) rude, Marko. Not intended. I was looking at Onestar and Gold both WITH lenses!! Visit to optician not needed!
wink.gif
Wish they will come out with a Onestar without the 7 intensity steps. Just always-on and max will do for many of us. Else make the level selection seperate from the on/(sort of)off switch, so one can pre-select a on level and switch between that and the always-on levels. How about it, Light Tech?

Marko

Newly Enlightened
No problem, phyhsuts !
tongue.gif

Have anyone tried this; after switching OneStar on (that level you need), take the battery off, and put it back on again. Is the same level selection still in force ?
(not sure about using right words, sorry my bad english, hope you guys understand what I mean :confused
smile.gif

If that (taking battery off) works, then this could solve the problem that phyhsuts mentioned; just add extra power switch and you could keep your brightness level setting and "switching on power" separate ?

Brock

Flashaholic
When ever you turn the Onestar off it always starts at the lowest level. So if you have it at level #3 then hit the button again it is off (or at that really dim level) then press it again and it is at 1, then 2, then 3. It cycles about every 1/2 sec, maybe 1/3 sec between levels. Where ever you let the button go it stops. Does that make since?

Brock

Marko

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking that if you don't turn it on/off by hitting the button, but take battery off and put it back, it maybe remember the level.

So there is no difference how you turn it off, pressing the button or remove the battery ?

Brock

Flashaholic
(getting light and taking it apart) I think I see where you are going with this, are you trying to make it stay at a given level and putting in an external switch or external power supply? Yup, amazingly it stays where ever it was before you remove the battery. At least for the last 2 minutes. I will set it at level 3 over night and see if it still remembers where it was in the morning. Neat!

Brock

Brock

Flashaholic
Yup, it kept it's settings so removing the battery and then re-installing it will put it right back where it was.

Brock

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
small additional suggestion:
4 that Pal Lite-
I'm using the NEW 9.6v (actual
voltage) NimH on my "Gold"
The unit's output is now even stronger than with the alkaline batt.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least with the proposed modification you'd finally have the much sought after ability to turn the PAL all the way off. However, I agree that it seems a shame to mess around with such a nice design.

Marko

Newly Enlightened
So it really works as I thought ! Thanks for testing that !

I was thinking external power switch, but the problem is where to put it. There is not much room inside the OneStar. It would be easy to replace the original momentary action type switch with latching action type, but then, where to put the level switch...

Maybe somekind of 3 position toggle switch, with on-off and momentary on (in the same switch). (Momentary position changes the level) Only problem is that then you have to "mess around with such a nice design" like you guys said.
If you wanna save the rubber cover neat, perhaps its possible to put a miniature push button switch inside case, and use extra 9 volt battery clip like KenBar said. (again, not mutch room for it)