are there collectible lights that actually increase in value?

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm noticing a lot of these unique flashlights that are copper or titaniun that look like they can go up or at least retain their value due to the demand, are there any lights that fit this criteria?

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything generally labeled as a "collector" edition likely wont be. Sometimes a light ends up being special for some reason or another. As is, it takes something special just to hold a majority of its value, let alone going up. Picking the ones that will go up is difficult. Small market to sell to as well.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Some, but very few.

Examples include rare SureFires, Macs, LF2XT, certain (vintage) McGizmos, and maybe some Tain flashlights ?

There are also some brands that retain value moderately to very well, but don't tend to sell for more than release price, like HDS, Peak, Malkoff, Muyshondt, and Elzetta.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
One big issue with electronics is the constant advancement. Few people want a luxeon star flashlight as it just eats power. A 1911 or knife made of 1095 will probably still be relevant 30 years from now. Heck maybe 100. Think about it....A 1911 .45 is called that for a reason.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I would never pay anywhere near over 20% for a used light no matter how good it was.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One big issue with electronics is the constant advancement. Few people want a luxeon star flashlight as it just eats power. A 1911 or knife made of 1095 will probably still be relevant 30 years from now. Heck maybe 100. Think about it....A 1911 .45 is called that for a reason.

Same with the ever faithful 1898.
Worlds fastest shooter guy can put more rounds out of his Henry repeater in less time than he can with his AR.

Anything electronic tends to whirpool down in value due to the fact that when you click 'buy now', by the time UPS gets it to you there's already a better model.

Cel phones, cameras, flashlights...I just remarked recently 'even bad flashlights aint bad these days' as the once cutting edge technology has trickled down to $5 flashlights anymore.

Yet there are certain items that in time gain in collectability, so the niche market will pay more.
SureFire 3P is an example. Beat up ones are going for more than they were new prices on the big E.

Interesting discussion.

Last edited:

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff Sapp / OKLUMA lights come to mind, or maybe one-off custom bodies like these:
IMUN73.jpg

96CK2w.jpg

Last edited:

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what this would do on the open market now. May not be worth anything.

It's my original, duty issue from 1990-1991, Sure Fire 6 still running on the original bulb and pushbutton. This thing can tell some stories.

For me, I'd say it's just about priceless.

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if ARC lights like the RGB triple A is considered a collectible. I have one of the ARC LS units with both the double AA and the single 123 tubes. I won't be selling anything I have bought sooooo in 200 years they might be a collectible.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm not sure what this would do on the open market now. May not be worth anything.

It's my original, duty issue from 1990-1991, Sure Fire 6 still running on the original bulb and pushbutton. This thing can tell some stories.

For me, I'd say it's just about priceless.

On the market that one has increased in value.
Not a 401k light, but if they can pry it out of your cold dead hands (sounds like the only way you'd part with it), it's value to many would be above the new price.
Round 6P's (then called 6) are highly prized.

Last edited:

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
I feel Mac's lights may go up in value if he has actually left the business. lol (customer waiting on what may be his last light, apparently.) :)

Bert Reynolds

Newly Enlightened
Collective value can be subjective. To me my DS Firefly is valuable to me, but to the next perspm it maybe worth little or nothing. Especially since there are some lights that can be reasonably had for way less than I paid for it at the time that work better and more efficient.

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
On the market that one has increased in value. Not a 401k light, but if they can pry it out of your cold dead hands (sounds like the only way you'd part with it), it's value to many would be above the new price. Round 6P's (then called 6) are highly prized.

Thanks for the info. I better just stick it in the safe before I lose it. Correct, I'd have to be offered well over a grand to part with it now based on sentimental value only. It's a relic of my former career. That little light has kicked in a lot of doors with me and lit-up some pretty bad people. It's really helped me stay secure when I had to face down the things that go bump in the night.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ thanks for doing your part to keep the rest of us safe.

I bought an updated model of the 6 this past summer when a young police officer blinded me in daylight with his. He meant no malice but when I asked what flashlight he used he was about 5' away and turned it on aiming it my way...
It's still a good light to this day imo.

Taz80

Enlightened
Investing in any collectibles can be a risky business, what seems collectible today might be worthless tomorrow. And even if it is worth something you still have to find a buyer that's willing to pay what you need to get for it. If you find a light you like, buy it, enjoy it, but don't expect a return on your investment, or even to hold its value.