XP-G2 Output Question

holygeez03

Enlightened
What is the theoretical output of an XP-G2 powered by 1x18650 with a 1.8A driver?

And what is the approximate throw that can be achieved with this LED/Driver and a typical aspheric lens?

How hard can the XP-G2 be reliably driven in a typical P60 module within a typical host?

holygeez03

Enlightened
Well I could read through pages and pages of information that is available on the internet, which I may or may not interpret correctly for my application... or I could just ask the question and get a response from the experts on this forum that I already have the knowledge.

I could also go back to school and get a medical degree instead of getting opinions from doctors...

I am trying to decide if it is worth it to have a P60 built to replace the 1.8A XP-G2 pill that was included with my light.... either an XP-L or an XP-G2 driven harder.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Cree's data sheet you can expect between 450-550 lumens at 1.5 amps, depending on tint selection. At 1.8 amps I would expect maybe 600 lumens max, around 500-550 if a warmer tint. It's not designed to get much more than 600 lumens when overdriven so switching to a LED that can handle it better might be the better option if you want more output.

TheVat26

Enlightened
I had a similar question when I bought my first Customlites module. I was told 1.5 amps was the max to push the xpg2 for reliability/runtime/output; heat dissipation is the Achilles heel in P60 format. I believe with the cool white at 1.5 amps it is about 400 OTF lumens in the P60 format. It's a darn good module with throw to about 75-100 yards and spill to 30-40 yards. Smooth reflector with the xpg2 may give a bit more throw, but there may be some rings in the beam. The orange peel reflector is flawless with no artifacts. I'd call customlites with more questions if you have them. Very good products and customer service.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
… I am trying to decide if it is worth it to have a P60 built to replace the 1.8A XP-G2 pill that was included with my light.... either an XP-L or an XP-G2 driven harder.

If you are seeking more brightness and throw, at the expense of less runtime, cooler tint, and less CRI, maybe ask vinhnguyen54 for his opinion too.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I have email correspondence with vinh... if I do decide to have a more powerful pill built, he will be building it!

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I edc a 6p with a xpg pdt by vinh and highly recommend it. Awesome throw for the size of the light. I measured about 3 amps on it

holygeez03

Enlightened
This project involves a host with an aspheric lens head... trying to put together a pure thrower for a trip I am taking to the desert... using as much stuff as possible that I already have.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had no problems with a xp-g2 on a copper star at 3A in a p60. Ny first attempt with a xp-g2 mounted on a thin alu star at 3A did not work that well. Looked great on turn on, then after few seconds the tint changed. Guess it was too mutch heat, and that made the tint change.

Last edited: