Big Beam flashlight LED conversion!

lakeside888

Newly Enlightened
I just Had the short life GE 4546 lamp burn out on my trusty Big Beam model 166 6 volt flashlight, and was looking to upgrade it to LED for a few dollars. After spending some time looking around for PAR36 size 4.5 inch reasonable priced lamp alternatives, I came to the conclusion that there just wasn't any.

Then I remembered buying an LED 6 volt plastic floating lantern type flashlight, with battery, from Walmart not too long ago!

Sure enough, after removing the plastic ring from the front of the flashlight, I remove the 10 LED reflector from it's square plastic battery adapter, and it fit perfectly in the lamp housing of the big beam 166!

Snugging it in the lamp bucket with some dense foam, and fitting the two leads of the slip on connectors to the "bulb like" stem of the LED reflector base was pretty simple.

I gently forced the negative slip on crimped connector to the side of the stem, then used a disposable type foam ear plug to hold the positive lead to the spot soldered center of stem, and held it there with a strip of gorilla tape brand duct tape.

Since the Walmart rayovac 6volt 10 LED floating flashlight included the 6 volt battery, and it cost less than $6, I consider this upgrade almost a freebee!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-EFL6V10LED-B-Rayovac-10-LED-6V-Floating-Lantern/22086119

is the link to the particular flashlight I used .

The lens cover fits the Big Beam 166 like it was made for it. The difference in lighting from the sealed beam to the ten led system is phenomenal. This set up should last for at least fifty hours of continuous use, and if you use a rechargeable 6 volt battery, you never need to but another batter for years.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a satisfying mod, just the sort of thing that I like do. We'll have you replacing emitters and drivers before you know it.
P