Do I need an XP-L In My Kit?

holygeez03

Enlightened
Trying to put together a small kit for a trip I am taking to the desert... using as much stuff as possible that I already have.

Already have a host (1x18650 or 2x18650) with aspheric head, a "regular" head, a neutral XM-L2 pill, a warm XM-L2 pill, and a neutral de-domed XP-G2 pill... I am considering a neutral XP-L pill for something in between the XM-L2 and XP-G2 in terms of output/throw. Then I can configure to suit my needs.

Not sure if there will be enough perceivable difference between the XP-L and XP-G2 to justify the additional pill.

Or, maybe it will be the perfect happy medium?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
an XP-L HD puts out a whiter tint but in terms of output would be about the same as an XM-L2 unless you plan on very high output 4 amps or more. XP-L HI can be cool or warm and would almost double the range of your light. I have the new Coast HP17 XP-L HD. The lens is basically aspheric. It works extremely well. I cant remember the bin number but there is a NW XP-L now. The difference between the XP-L and XP-G2 is that the XP-L easily handles 1000 lumens+ OTF whereas the XP-G2 is designed for 550-600 max lumens. If you dont have an XP-L light yet Id go for it just so you have one to compare and contrast.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
there will be no perceived difference between the XM-L2 and XP-L. as celtic cross mentioned, if variety is what your after then a XP-L HI would be the way to go.

holygeez03

Enlightened
The XP-L should throw way further than XM-L2 since it is a smaller die, correct? XP-L HI even more so I would assume...

Based on what I have found, a fully driven XP-L should throw about as far as the XP-G2, but with a wider beam?

Would an XP-L HI make a big difference (versus non-HI) if I am using an aspheric lens?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-L should throw way further than XM-L2 since it is a smaller die, correct? XP-L HI even more so I would assume...

Based on what I have found, a fully driven XP-L should throw about as far as the XP-G2, but with a wider beam?

Would an XP-L HI make a big difference (versus non-HI) if I am using an aspheric lens?
the XP-L is basically a XM-L on a smaller footprint. same sized die. not an upgrade in output or throw department. look at it like this, you have a nail sticking out of a piece of 2x8. you remove that nail and now its sticking out of a piece of 2x4. the nail is still the same.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I guess I was confusing "footprint" with "die size"... I still thought the XP-L was considered to throw better than XM-L2... maybe it is due to the different dome?

ven

Flashaholic
Throw an xp-l HI in the kit!

Truthful answer- no you dont need it in your kit
Flashaholic answer- Yes, more flavours the better, imho a nice mt-g2 would complement it too for neutral flood along with the xp-l HI throw option.

holygeez03

Enlightened
The two XM-L2 (neutral & warm) pills fulfill any flood needs within the regular head... plus I will always have some sort of EDC for flood (SC62w or H52w)... I am trying to figure out if an XP-L will provide a better option in the aspheric head (and could also be used in the regular head if I like it).

I'm thinking about just keeping one of the XM-L2 pills in the regular head and the de-domed XP-G2 in the aspheric head and calling it a day... with a second XM-L2 pill for backup.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-L HD(High Definition)is a domed emitter. XP-L HI(High Intensity)emitter is protected by a flat square silicone(I think its silicone)piece. The main difference between the two and why the HI throws so much farther than the HD is that a traditional dome disperses the light emitted by the diode along the curve of the dome instead of just straight ahead. The flat square wafer over the HI allows light emitted by the diode to travel straight ahead there is no curved medium to change the direction of the light waves.

OP you should take the time sometime to read over Crees data sheets on these emitters just to get a better idea of the specifics across the popular emitters. As for should you put an XP-L in your kit I would say hell yes! An XP-L HI light to be more exact for a truly new light experience. As I look across my 50+ strong light collection the most impressive XP-L HI light I have is the amazing Olight M3XS-UT Javelot. I dont buy customized lights I like my factory warranties to much so aside from my self modded D cell Mags everything I have are stock lights. The M3XS-UT is flat out astonishing especially for its relatively compact size. I run my Olight M3XS-UT off 2x3600mah Orbtronic cells for best run time but realize the only 3600mah 18650 on the market now is the new (and very expensive) Olight 3600mah cell.

All up to you OP. I say hell yes throw an XP-L HI light in there you should love it. Keep us posted...

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree. hell no to XP-L and possibly an ok to XP-L HI. edit: since you already have a dedomed XP-G for throw.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may like XP-L HI V3, high output with throw.

Your XP-G2 Dedome will be lower in output, but throw well.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
An emitter is just that. The real question is what task do you need the gear item for. If it's for the sake of flashlight ownership as a hobby then sure, why not. But if you don't have an actual need for the tool then maybe not.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Here is the bottom line based on my outdoors experience which isn't the desert so keep that in mind. Hands free is really nice so if you don't own one consider packing a headlamp plus a flashlight. Also it sounds like you have more than enough flashlights for a camping trip.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I have many ZL headlamps and handhelds... as well as other brands I have picked up over the years... this thread is for a special purpose "toy" that I can pack easily and get longer range than what I currently have in the arsenal... I'm also getting a green filter to play around with to see what that's like for spotting night wildlife. This is all just for fun and an effort to get some use out of my old Dereelight parts that don't get much use these days.