3W really is copper slug

Jarhead

Banned
I get tired of folks saying this and that, here is my 3W:

3wcoppe2.jpg

3wcopper.jpg

All my 1W are definitely Aluminum slugged..

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Ahhhhhhhhh...so there is already ONE difference! Any more, Jar?

You da man for taking a file (or what was it?) to your Lux III!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice one Jar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
looks like it was done with a diamond saw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that is interesting. I had always assumed the better thermal properties of the LuxeonIII had been due to the move from an aluminuim slug to a copper part. So where does the improvement come from, if not the slug?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Now that is interesting. I had always assumed the better thermal properties of the LuxeonIII had been due to the move from an aluminuim slug to a copper part. So where does the improvement come from, if not the slug?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, it could be anything. Needless to say, Lumileds is probably keeping that a secret.

Besides, it's only a 2K/W improvement in thermal conductivity.

Theories:

1) Process improvement in the LED structure that slightly improves thermal transfer from the junction. This could be in the form of more pure materials, or an increase in the number/conductivity of solder blobs that attach the die to the silicon substrate

2) Better thermal conductivity of the silicon substrate between the die and slug.

3) Slightly better bonding material between the silicon substrate and slug.

4) No intentional improvement. Natural process improvement that has slightly improved the thermal conductivity.

That just covers the improvement in j-slug thermal resistance. The improved current carrying capability again, could be anything, but again, is likely a guarded secret (it keeps them ahead of the game).

Improved current carrying capabilities could be a result of the improved thermal management, purer materials/different materials mix, improved fabrication process, etc.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Jarhead said:
Sorry, but these 1W that are six months old *DO* have an *ALUMINUM* slug:

1wluxeon.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

HMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!?????
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Must be when they test'em at the factory, those coming out brighter are now categorized as III's...

Very VERY interesting, indeed. Good one, Jar.

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
nice, when i worked (making non-LED diodes), i used do FMA on failures both customer and production line. sometimes the diffusion process went south..

one method ( there are several ) to check this was to epoxy pot and slice 'em with a diamond blade, grind away for hours then compare the die layers with a high powered microscope. [ wish i had access to some of that equipment now ]…anyhow you could measure layer thickness so it would be interesting to see if there was any difference between a standard and III….next …..there were staining techniques to apply for like copper migration into the die and so on but I digress..

rob

Jarhead

Banned
Ah, guess what I noticed, these 1W they sent me have blobs of phosphor, not the thin "printed" layer. So they are definitely older 1W.

1wguts.jpg