Nitecore EC11 on the way!

rookieshiner

Newly Enlightened
It will go nice with my P12, but I am wondering as to how often I will need to recharge the batteries in both?

Thanks

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you planning on using NiMH or 14500 IMR?

Edit: Never mind - I was thinking of my EA11. Obviously the EC11 would be 16340 IMR. What is the capacity of the cell you are planning on using?

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really need to get some 18350s!! That is the only way to go. I run Efest in mine. It is a pocket rocket with those.

rookieshiner

Newly Enlightened
On the P12 am using Nitecore 18650 3400mah and on the EC11 a Nitecore 18350 700mah, which is the most powerful one I could find! The 18350 700mah says IMR (whatever that means?) On the 18650 3400mah does not say IMR .

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the P12 am using Nitecore 18650 3400mah and on the EC11 a Nitecore 18350 700mah, which is the most powerful one I could find! The 18350 700mah says IMR (whatever that means?) On the 18650 3400mah does not say IMR .
Stolen directly from BatteryBro.com:

This table shows current 18650 battery chemistries and their abbreviations:

Long-form nameChemical abbreviationName format 1Name format 2Name format 3
Lithium manganese oxideLiMn2O4IMRLMOLi-manganese
Lithium manganese nickelLiNiMnCoO2INRNMC---
Lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxideLiNiCoAlO2---NCALi-aluminum
Lithium nickel cobalt oxideLiNiCoO2---NCO---
Lithium cobalt oxideLiCoO2ICRLCOLi-cobalt
Lithium iron phosphateLiFePO4IFRLFPLi-phosphate

ICR are the cells we all know and love as Li-Ion. Highest power density, but need careful handling. Can't handle a very high current drain.
IMR cells are a safer chemistry than ICR, but not as much power density. They can handle very high current drains without problems.
IFR cells are another chemistry that puts out around 3.2v instead of the nominal 3.7. As such they are a closer match to primary lithium cells, but need special charging circuitry not found in most Li-Ion chargers.

Go here for the full informative discussion of the various chemistry types and their uses -
http://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w.../18880255-battery-chemistry-finally-explained

rookieshiner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great info! But how long will either one of these 2 lights hold a 100% charge before it needs a boost like 4 or 5 months?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the great info! But how long will either one of these 2 lights hold a 100% charge before it needs a boost like 4 or 5 months?
If you do the physical lockout - long, long time.
As far as the electronic lockout - First, once you load the cell, turn the light on for a few seconds, then off. Then turn it on again and put it in electronic lockout. My EA11 with 14500 IMR has gone a month or so with no major degradation, I just can't stop playing with it long enough to judge the effects of the parasitic drain. :whistle:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EC11 On The Way!

I, too, have been considering one of these for walking at night or horseback riding at night. I would just want to clip it onto a baseball cap because I don't care much for the traditional "jock strap" of headlamps. If I were to get this and get a spare battery or two, would it be pretty easy to swap the battery out quickly, in the dark, by feel?

Also, what light(s) would be the nearest competitors to this with a small form factor and high lumen output? To me, 900 lumens is pretty good. I am hoping that this is small enough to clip on a baseball cap without it being too heavy.