Suggestions on a work vise for mods?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone got suggestions for a good vise I might buy to work on mods? I'd like to find something that can hold circuit boards for soldering, and can hold flashlight barrels without marring the finish. Also, something that's preferably either got a heavy base (but is portable), or a suction attachment. I don't have a dedicated workshop at this time so I pull out the tools when the kids go to bed, and put everything away when done. The vise would need to work with such an arrangement.

Suggestions, anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dtsoll

Enlightened
Scott, I ended up getting a panavise with the parts tray bottom. Works fantastic, but it is somewhat small. It is great for holding pc boards for soldering. Also, it is easy to put away almost anywhere. The quality is second to none! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I use for the small stuff. Keep your eye out for a sale, I got mine for 50% off. It's a nice little unit for soldering etc.

Peter

dtsoll

Enlightened
You might also check out the Dremel D'vise. I had one but took it back and got the panavise. Overall, it was nice but the panavise rules!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
This is my favorite.
f9e1cfba.jpg

You can buy it here. You can remove the handle to hold it in a vise but I just use it without the handle by itself.

Or check out this one too: Mini-Vise
80769.jpg

And another good one for just holding circuit boards and such: Micro-Vise
81495.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I use the panavise too, but have to say I like the "universal vise" with all the holes for holding odd shaped things.

I also tend to use the Radio shack "helping hand" when soldering things. It's got aligator clips attached to pivots. It's small enough to set aside easily, and heavy enough to be stable when holding a circuit board.

I'm almost ashamed to say that I clamp a small pair of vice grips upside down in the panavise when I need to use a torch to heat small things up. The vice grips give me quick change capability and are fairly impervious to heat.

Daniel