What's the current state of the art in coin battery keychain lights?

warpdrive

Enlightened
Does anybody bother making a above average keychain light these days? Or are the Photon lights the current "Porsche" of keychain lights in a field of cheap sub-$1 lights? Are there any other lights that are comparable or offer something unique for a minimal form factor light?

My wife hasn't carried a light on her keychain for years now so it's about time I remedy that

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore Tube is probably current state of the art.

It outputs around 50 lumens and has a built-in rechargeable li-po battery. Not sure of the price. Maybe $10.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I have a UST Moonforce Titanium (not sure where they got the "Titanium" part of the name). I got it instead of the little Streamlight, because people said the Streamlight turned itself on in their pocket. I've been happy with its durability and battery life, but it's definitely a bargain basement light (I paid about $7 if I remember right - they're up to $11 now). The best thing about it is that it's always with me - permanently attached to my door key, so it's impossible to leave home without it.

warpdrive

Enlightened
^^I think a flat style light with some kind of button would be most useful. It's usually when she's got her hands full when she asks me for some extra light.

I'm googling all of the suggestions and they are pretty cool. I need something like the Navi for myself since I'm losing my keys often.

The one thing about rechargeable lights, how often do you have to charge them even if they aren't used often? The one thing about coin lights is that you never really have to replace the battery (at least months at a time) and they tend to lose their brightness gradually. That's the one thing I hesitate, you need the light and then it just dies.

The MBI light is a beauty, that would be the upper limit on what I'd spend for myself as a treat. It would definitely compete with my Titan Plus as my keychain jewellery

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as considering all button cell lights, I would have to say the Photon family from LRI still rules. If you just want to talk about the disposable button cell lights (what we around her call fauxtons [I just got that pun, sad isn't it]), I don't think there is a clear winner. I like the Titanium Innovations ones. For the price, they are well built and aren't quite an ugly, angry blue as some of the others I've seen. They are cheap enough that if you just want to throw one away when it dies, there is not a great twinge (recycle, recycle, recycle!), but they are easy to open and replace the cell if you can find some cheaper than a dollar each.
I like the Tube, I have a dozen or so for give-aways. I just wish they had molded the collar up a little higher around the LED, or used a little more pigment in the plastic, cause the bleed-back can get very irritating some times.

Latest posts