Anyone remember the Fay's Drug store in Watertown, NY?

1DaveN

Enlightened
As you may know, Watertown, NY is the home of Fort Drum (Army's 10th Mountain Division), and gateway to the Thousand Islands to the north and Adirondack Park to the east. The Fays Drugs there was unique (as far as I know) in being the only conventional drug store I ever heard of with a full blown sporting goods department. They had guns, knives, canoes, and a good selection of general hunting, fishing, and camping gear. We used to stop there religiously on our way camping or fishing - because they sold licenses if nothing else. We always ended up buying at least some bug spray, a little fishing tackle, and whatever was on sale. (And of course junk food and beer).

Fay's sold out and became Eckerd's in the mid-1990s, and that store went out of the sporting goods business. Probably good timing, because as the fort has expanded, so has local retail, and it seems likely that Gander Mountain or ****s would have put the Fay's sporting goods department out of business anyway.

I still EDC a little Gerber pocket knife I got there for about $11 or $12 - which was probably as much as it was worth. I hate to part with it due to the memories of shopping in Watertown before the mall got big - when Watertown was the last reliable cell service before Lake Placid.