NITECORE EA81 - BALOONING BUTTONS

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

My friend has a NITECORE EA81.

Both the "POWER" and "MODE SELECTION" are BALOONING up. Not as much as the EA4. However -the weather is cold and the flashlight was only running on "460 Lumens".

This should not happen at all.

The ambient temperature is cold, but not enough for ice, sleet, or snow. The batteries were fully charged and have been used 15 hours so far. Only the same batteries have been used and recharged and used again.

The batteries were UNIROSS 2400mah AAs, 8 of them.

please can all of you give guidance as this problem is the reason they stopped using their EA4. It was my recommendation that they even bought this flashlight.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
man that is awful! Your friend should send the light back. I would have thought NC would have taken care of this issue!

WHOA!! just looked at those pics! I was considering an EA81 but not anymore. Youd have better luck contacting the retailer than NC

Last edited:

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
NITECORE replied very fast, on the same day.

"Hello

Sorry to hear of a problem with your EA81.

May I ask what type of batteries are being used and have you tried different
types of cells?

Also may I ask where and when it was purchased?"

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange, seems like some sort of air pressure build up. Cells venting? Or a mega change in atmospheric pressure? Heat causing air expansion inside light. When you open it, do they go down?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had that happen with a couple different lights of other brands. It would go away when opening the light. The air tight seal from the o rings wouldn't let the pressure out.

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Hello

Yes, as soon as you open the tail cap, the warm air rushes out and the buttons go down.

This is just like the NITCORE EA4 button inflating issue.

However this does not happen to the Fenix LD41, even when it is very hot on turbo. The thicker rubber simply does not "inflate".

Please can you all advise on the issue, as the buttons now feel spongy to the press, since the rubber inflated,

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
NITECORE replied again on the same day, very fast response.
The below is the message from them.

"Hello

I have not heard of this happening before on the EA81.

Were the other AA batteries you used the same make and model?

Kind Regards"

So.. I tried with the one set of AA. UNIROSS 2400mah AA.

I then tried with all new AAs same brand and capacity.

Now I will try another brand.

However this button inflating does not happen on the Fenix LD41's rubber button. So the rubber seems a lot more thinner.

I believe the heat from the batteries could be causing the air to expand and the thinner rubber inflates.

I must stress the flashlight was only on 460 lumens, and not on the 1200 lumens, or even its turbo 2150 lumens. The flashlight was not hot at all.

Please could you all advise on the issue, thank you in advance.​

Last edited:

swan

Banned
I think your friends cells are venting.

If you look at all the problems with the nitecore switch covers - they only arise with lights powered by AA power sources - never li ion powered.

Who can forget the initial batch of ea4,s with pics of ballooning/mushy switch covers,which nitecore changed to a different rubber type after many complaints.
I have the original EA4 which i have only used eneloops in. I had to replace the ui rubber switch cover that i ordered from nitecore , in my case it went mushy, but never ballooned.
I guess only time will tell if this is a inherent problem as more people purchase this model.

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all your views.

Yes I have the first EA4. It's button inflates so much.

When you say AA Nimh batteries venting, the batteries look perfect. Perhaps you could advise us further with you great knowledge.

Luckily the the batteries do not look like these below.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?199669-NiMH-Venting-How-does-this-happen

Keep the views coming. I feel I should advise people to buy flashlights after they have been out for 6-9 months, that way every issue surfaces by then.

Last edited:

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Hi we are getting the Amazon AA nimh (repackaged eneloops) you think that's ok? Or do we need the branded eneloops?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, HKJ gave the Amazon pre-charged batteries a good review. The lights that I had the button balloon on were a Thrunite Neutron 1A and a Quark 1AA Regular. Both of those would not be able to tail-stand after replacing the battery. The air would slowly seep out after a while. I found that I could squeeze the button all the way down on the tailcap when I would screw it down and that would mostly eliminate it by not allowing excess air in the tube. Your situation may be completely different, I have never had the light that you are talking about.

swan

Banned
As a general comment on the EA4- when this light came out it was very popular and the most powerful 4 x AA powered light at the time.

As this problem only occurred in AA nitecores i think this proves it the cells that are the problem.

To achieve these impressive levels of output they draw a lot of current so a set of decent matched cells must be used and i think some people used alkaline cells which would explain some of the bubble balloon switches.

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your reply.

The LD41's rubber boot remains normal. Perhaps, ...the current draw heats the digital led driver, that heat expands the air and the rubber inflates. I can keep opening the tail cap, the air escapes, and I can do it several times, but it keep on inflating the button.

I like your ideas, it made me wonder about the current and the driver becoming hot, that driver is near the switch.

Your views?

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Hi perhaps I don't understand AA battery venting. Could you give it to me in short?
thank you

swan

Banned
Hi perhaps I don't understand AA battery venting. Could you give it to me in short?
thank you
Hi Firewire,

Heat,current draw, equal capacity and voltage when used in series,age, cheapo quality and many more reasons.

But all batteries can vent- just some more than others, thats why they have[safety] vent holes around the positive terminal so its important to put quality cells in an expensive light.

There is lots of info on this forum in the battery section explaining in great detail about all things battery.

swan

Banned