Malkoff Mag Drop In Greatness

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive noticed that the great Malkoff Mag drop ins rarely get mentioned here. So I just thought Id post some pics of my 4 D Mag with the 700+ OTF lumen drop in. The beam this thing puts out is utterly massive.

IMG_0031_zpst6z9aion.jpg

IMG_00921_zpsg5ztxigx.jpg

IMG_0030_zpscpvj0ifi.jpg

IMG_0028_zpseahgq0si.jpg

IMG_0027_zpseoi0okvc.jpg

IMG_00261_zpsfbb9goly.jpg

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
CC - wow. Makes me wanna go get my wallet and order one. Running on D NIMH's?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes I run both my Malkoff Mags(the other is the excellent 325 lumen XPG2 unit)off Powerex 11000 D NiMHs. Run times are ridiculous

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, my kid has the XPG in a 2D, I need to get him some of those, he's just using alkalines (yes, we check often). ;)
Feeling the need for the XML now. Sigh.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the XML2 drop in is amazing. I swear my black 4 D mags candela shot from 38k CD to 52k CD through sheer output alone. Worth every penny

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics. It's great to see that Maglites still have interest here. I have Malkoff drop-ins in my 2C and 2D. I still need to upgrade my 3C Maglite, so maybe this is a sign?

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff sells the Mag drop ins as fast as he can make them. Would love to see some XP-L drop ins
Thanks for the pics, can't say I recall seeing any of the big drop in. I too would also like to see an xpl drop in, maybe even xpl hi

How do you like those batteries? Have they served you well?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Powerex 11000mah D NiMHs run for freaking ever. They take nearly an entire day to charge so yes they have served me very well. Unfortunately they are pretty expensive as in $25 for 2. Add in the glare coated glass and op aluminum camless reflector and the light becomes a real investment. Still worth it I have run the light from sunset to sunrise with no visible drop in output

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Powerex 11000mah D NiMHs run for freaking ever. They take nearly an entire day to charge so yes they have served me very well. Unfortunately they are pretty expensive as in $25 for 2. Add in the glare coated glass and op aluminum camless reflector and the light becomes a real investment. Still worth it I have run the light from sunset to sunrise with no visible drop in output
Could you list the specs of each item you have in the light please? Sounds like a really nice set up and I wouldn't mind doing it to my D4 when I get the money.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure!!
1 incandescent 4 D cell mag
1 Malkoff 700+ lumen drop in
1 orange peel camless aluminum reflector that I think I got from Kai Domain
4 Powerex 11000mah D NiMHs
1 8 bay Maha charger cannot remember the model number I think its 808
1 UCL lens I scored from I believe once again Kai Domain it has a high quality AR

Did the same for my Malkoff XPG2 drop in build

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure!!
1 incandescent 4 D cell mag
1 Malkoff 700+ lumen drop in
1 orange peel camless aluminum reflector that I think I got from Kai Domain
4 Powerex 11000mah D NiMHs
1 8 bay Maha charger cannot remember the model number I think its 808
1 UCL lens I scored from I believe once again Kai Domain it has a high quality AR

Did the same for my Malkoff XPG2 drop in build

Thanks for this! I put a Malkoff xpg2 drop-in in my dad's 3D and then made a spacer to use AA as it sits more than used so would rather replace inexpensive AAs than Ds. I really like the thought of this 4D set up, have to start hunting for parts.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear ya. But in order to get the advertised performance out the Malkoff he specifically states the cell types which are D NiMHs. Tenergy Premium 10000mah D NiMHs are cheaper and great cells themselves. Love the XPG2 drop in. It may not have the output of the XML2 drop in but boy does it still throw. Run times on D's are incredible. I imagine Malkoff is working on new higher output D cell drop ins with the advent of the outstanding 3rd Gen LED Mags. XP-L HD and HI would just make sense. Guess we need to just cross our fingers. At least my black XML2 still flat smokes the 3rd Gens,

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread, CelticCross71 - love the pics! Thanks for sharing them and all the additional information!