Fenix retaining ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashatron

Banned
I have a Fenix E 15 with the twisty switch. It works well and is reliable. I am interested in purchasing a Fenix PD 32. The problem is the retaining ring in the switch loosens up on me and becomes unreliable. This is the reason I stopped purchasing Fenix flashlights with a clicky switch.

Does anybody make a high quality reliable switch that will fit the Fenix PD32? These are nice flashlights but the cheap switch makes it unreliable.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Is it that they're cheap switches, or just that they become loose over time due to ordinary use, properties of the metal, or whatever? I always considered tightening switches to just be ordinary maintenance, but I'll admit that it's something I haven't had to do more than once or twice on my Fenix lights. You could try some Loctite on the threads (being careful not to do so in a way that prevents replacing a failed switch).

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never had a problem with the retaining ring coming lose on any of the PD series Fenix lights or with their switch, but I have had problems with the switch on an ArmyTek Viking V3 Pro. Not sure what the problem is but I clean the surfaces with alcohol before putting back together and it then works. It's like the time I have a problem on something, take it apart, can't figure out what it is..........put it back together and it just works.

Flashatron

Banned
The only maintenance the switch should ever need is to clean the contacts. I find it unacceptable for a metal ring to become loose and render the switch useless. Maybe I am just used quality lights like Surefire. This is why am looking for a better quality switch.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
retaining rings come loose over time and use there really is not a way around it. I used the hell out of all my lights and check the retaining ring when I first get them and monthly afterwards. I have been quite surprised by how loose some rings have been brand new out of the box. Before I even turn on a new light I check the ring tightness and clean the contact points. Saved me a lot of hassle doing this. I wouldnt advise using loctite as what if something in the switch mechanism goes bad and you need to access it your pretty much screwed, that and what if some of that loctite gets on the switch itself...remove the retaining ring clean with rubbing alcohol and screw the ring back in tightly you should be good to go for awhile

Last edited:

Flashatron

Banned
retaining rings come loose over time and use there really is not a way around it. I used the hell out of all my lights and check the retaining ring when I first get them and monthly afterwards. I have been quite surprised by how loose some rings have been brand new out of the box. Before I even turn on a new light I check the ring tightness and clean the contact points. Saved me a lot of hassle doing this. I wouldnt advise using loctite as what if something in the switch mechanism goes bad and you need to access it your pretty much screwed, that and what if some of that loctite gets on the switch itself...remove the retaining ring clean with rubbing alcohol and screw the ring back in tightly you should be good to go for awhile

This is the reason why I want a better quality switch

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
this style of switch is in so many lights. Any PD35/32 style light has a retainer ring like this. The upside to it is if you need to service the actual switch all you need to do is unscrew the retaining ring and the switch assembly comes right out.

Flashatron

Banned
I am shocked you people find this to be acceptable. A clicky switch has a retaining ring that loosens up and it stops working. The design of this is crap. There should never be anything to get loose inside a switch. I understand they do this, so that you can replace the guts. Because they do this it makes the switch unreliable. The switch should be a solid unit if it fails replace the whole thing. Just goes to show me that a manufacture can produce crap and people will continue to buy it. The worst part is you think this is OK. I would expect people on a flashlight website to know better.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
alright then use a little bit of loctite then. Just a little should be all it takes. Should you need to service the switch then it shouldnt be to hard to break the loctite. True a better design could be done for the retaining ring somehow. I just got my 2016 PD32 yesterday and the retaining ring did indeed need tightening....I just take it as the nature of the beast...

Keep in mind it isnt just Fenix that uses a retaining ring that needs to be checked now and then. From some of my Olights to even my Armyteks they all use a screw in retainer ring

Last edited:

Flashatron

Banned
Does anybody make a quality switch that will fit this flashlight? I refuse to own any flashlight that uses this retaining ring, if I can't replace the switch with a good quality one. This is probably the reason why I never usually buy cheap lights.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do think lights like this should be tight when they come to you so that in theory you'd never have to tighten them yourself if you don't open them up yourself. However, in the past (and maybe still) Fenix has give extra tailcaps and other things like that with their lights so that you can change them out or replace them if they become damaged.

What are some of the tools some of you use to change/tighten/untighten retaining rings on lights around the size of a TK11? I know specific tools have been made by some people, but also specific pliers work well. What would some of you recommend or what do you use?

nbp

Flashaholic
Just grab a snap-ring pliers and snug it up. Frankly, you could do it with a twig in the field if you needed to. It's really not that complicated. Generally people would list Fenix among the more reliable lights, hardly cheap junk, but many members are fairly handy and don't consider manipulating a tweezers to be above their abilities.

Or buy a light with a non-replaceable switch.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a pair of medical scissors. They have strong fine tips to finely fit the divots in the retaining ring. Been thinking about an improved design that does not come loose. Im thinking a ring that press locks into place somehow. The screw in retainer ring can indeed be improved upon but that would cost money to design and integrate. I had a Sunwayman P25C that had a ring that would come unscrewed if you sneezed to hard. Worst 1x18650 light Ive had turned out to use PWM and it just quit working one day.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not experienced any ring loosening on my Fenix, Eagletac, or Solarforce lights. If you are that concerned about it you could always make sure it is tight and then take a small punch and stake it in place. I doubt you would be able to replace the switch without damaging the tailcap after you staked it but I'm not for sure. Honestly though based on your attitude in this thread and your other one, I think you just need to stick with your precious Surefires and let us poor ole Fenix guys deal with our piece of junk lights lol.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am shocked you people find this to be acceptable. A clicky switch has a retaining ring that loosens up and it stops working. The design of this is crap. There should never be anything to get loose inside a switch. I understand they do this, so that you can replace the guts. Because they do this it makes the switch unreliable. The switch should be a solid unit if it fails replace the whole thing. Just goes to show me that a manufacture can produce crap and people will continue to buy it. The worst part is you think this is OK. I would expect people on a flashlight website to know better.
Oh, come on, give us a break and don't insinuate that we're idiots. I think most lights with tail cap switches have retaining rings. If it comes lose and you lose contact just tighten it up......the switch hasn't failed........no big deal. I prefer to be able to replace the switch if it ever breaks. If you don't like this setup, then get something else. You're going to find that you're in the vast minority on this one and besides did you just register in January to ***** about this? It's fine if you don't like the design but to say something like: "a manufacture can produce crap and people will continue to buy it"........is just not going to get you anywhere on this thread.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
meh...attitudes aside when it comes down to it the design could be improved but would cost money to change machining etc. I personally dont mind maintaining my rings, cleaning my contact points etc. I actually kind of enjoy making sure things are tight myself....

Status
Not open for further replies.