Maglite restoration

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I have an old 7 C cell maglite which is really battered and scuffed. Can anyone offer any advice how to restore it?

I was considering sanding it down to remove the anodising and then refinish it somehow. Ive seen people who have used dipping methods to create custom finishes but I can't imagine that's very hard-wearing.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You may look into powder coating.

In my work we use powder coated alluminum and stainless stuff all the time.

Next time you go through an intersection with colored traffic signal poles, fancy street sign poles or black street light poles...they're all powder coated alluminum or stainless parts n pieces.

Way more durable than plasti dip.

Cleck

Newly Enlightened
I'm with bykfixer - either powdercoat or even try cerakote. Cerakote is for knives and firearms, really tough stuff. Plenty of companies do it, just google them.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Thanks chaps. Ive found a company nearby which uses hydrodipping with a clear hard-wearing coating. Thinking perhaps some carbon effects. I guess I won't be really using this it is likely just going to be on the shelf. So looking cool will probably take priority over durability. Just got to get some prices for the job

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
Instead of recoating the body with whatever substance, how not strip the body down bare and polish it to a chrome/mirror finish?
Just a thought.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a really old 1985-ish 2D cell that I used for years and I like the character marks. Depending on how scruffy it is, having it anodized in a contrasting color would highlight the scratches and give it a neat effect.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
If going through the time and expense to refinish the exterior, also consider an LED upgrade from Malkoff, Terralux, etc.

Latest posts