Your recommended flashlight to use on a film?

briaowolf

Newly Enlightened
I'm combing through the "seen on tv and film" thread. Amazing resource. You guys are amazing, but figured I'd throw this question out there.

I'm filming a movie that has a prowler that breaks into home and looks around. He needs a flashlight, obviously. My needs are:

1 - Variable intensity - I guess either multiple modes or a true dimmer would be fantastic, but I could put ND gels on the front, but don't want to
2 - No big hotspots - A nice flat light would be good, but I'm seeing some cool shots in the thread where the center beam is brighter than the cone of light which looks really great. But there can't be too big of intensity difference or my exposure will be tough (center beam would be too overexposed)
3 - Variable Lens Focus - Don't know if I'm using the right term, but it would be great to adjust the angle of the cone of light coming out. Some shots we want to ONLY illuminate a specific area and the actor has to be a set distance away so focusable lens would accomplish that
4 - Looks cool - what impresses you on screen? I saw the Fenix TK45 in the thread and that looks great. Thinking about getting one and running some camera tests.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

sgt253

Enlightened
Check out lens-light. They seem to meet your requirements. Subsidiary of the Chapman/Leonard Studio Company. Leonard Chapman in the movie business for 50 years. Let us know if that works. Best.

briaowolf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. In looking more at the Fenix and the Acebeam I'm getting worried about hotspots in the middle. Is there a specific type of light that allows for flat light with no hotspotting AND focused? It seems often that to get the focused you get the hotspot. Mule lights have the evenness for sure, but it's not focused at all it seems. Am i asking for the impossible?

Lens-light looks cool. Hard to find though. Didn't find it on amazon or even used on ebay.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. In looking more at the Fenix and the Acebeam I'm getting worried about hotspots in the middle. Is there a specific type of light that allows for flat light with no hotspotting AND focused? It seems often that to get the focused you get the hotspot. Mule lights have the evenness for sure, but it's not focused at all it seems. Am i asking for the impossible?

Lens-light looks cool. Hard to find though. Didn't find it on amazon or even used on ebay.

Well..... Yes, focused IS hotspot.
You might want to look into a focusable "lenser" style light. Try to find an aspheric. There are several lensed lights that use more than one "focal" point, I.e. Coast polysteel, has a 2 step lens design.
Another thing to think of in filming is CRI. As well as color temp. A cooler color temp will "show" the beam better on film, where as a warmer color temp will show the true color of what it's lighting better, espc with LED lighting.
There's a reason maxabeams are widely used in movies and t.v. shows.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If I'm not mistaken there are diffusers available for a bunch of lights that eliminate the hot spot.
They are a lens cover that look like clear housefly eyes.

Or you can use sandpaper to scrap the living you-know-what out of a lens.

I had a badly scratched camera lens that I used to take photos I wanted to be diffused. Like in the days when older women on tv always had a certain fuzziness..ie lack of detail...ie wrinkle removal trick.

Last edited:

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The diffuser film can be purchased in the market place. Easy to cut, apply, or remove. It works very well.

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
You might like the flood beam of a light with a frosted lens or an add-on lens diffuser. On the smaller side, ZebraLight makes excellent lights with frosted lenses. Look for the "floody" in the description and the 'F' in the model number.

To avoid the strobing effect you mentioned in the other thread, look for a light with "constant current regulation". Most higher end lights use this method vs. pulse width modulation, which is probably what was causing your rolling strobe effect.

Cheers!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

HDS rotary 200 (HCRI Nichia 219) with diffuse reflector. It's pricey (300+) but a serious tool with a lifetime US warranty. Variable output knob, HCRI always looks great in photos/film, and totally even (no hot spot) beam yet in a standard (70-degree??) cone beam.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS rotary 200 (HCRI Nichia 219) with diffuse reflector. It's pricey (300+) but a serious tool with a lifetime US warranty. Variable output knob, HCRI always looks great in photos/film, and totally even (no hot spot) beam yet in a standard (70-degree??) cone beam.

I have the same setup and it works great. I don't know if Henry has caught up on his backlog so it may be difficult to source. The OP did mention it was for a prowler so I was thinking of a larger light for the scare factor. Vinh in the custom maker section would be a good person to contact and build one for your needs.