2010 Inova X5 and Rechargeable Batteries

Destiny

Newly Enlightened
I have a few of these lights in white, green and UV, but in the recesses of my mind I seem to remember that I can't use regular RCR123A 3.7V batteries because they would be too much for them and fry either the lights or the circuitry. Is this true? I'm presently using 3V rechageables with no issues, but they're expensive.

Is this a problem with any other manufacturer, and is it a valid concern for the Inova X5 and other Inova models?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a single 16650 battery in an older X5 without any problems.

Destiny

Newly Enlightened
The 16650 is a single battery rated at 3.7 volts, so it wouldn't be a problem. But the light is rated for two CR123A batteries and 6 volts. I've got a bunch of RCR123A batteries at 3.7 volts each. Instead of 6 volts, I'd be running my lights at 7.4 volts. That's not a problem with many lights, but I seem to recall Inova lights not being able to take the extra 1.4 volts.

I may have to fall back on the 16650s, but I fear the reduced voltage would result in reduced output.

Thanks for the info, though. I think most of these lights have been retired and are sitting in boxes somewhere. I had some new ones kicking around and have given all but two away as gifts. (And the people I gave them to think they're great.)

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll start popping LED's with two RCR's. The 1x16650 is not bad at all for brightness, actually quite close to 2xCR123. Run time is awesome, too. Keep track of the cell if it is not protected, although you will notice the light dimming as it nears empty. Won't be dangerous with one cell, but if you go low enough, could damage the cell. Protected will cut out on their own, but you get a sudden shut off, so I don't like that, rather be responsible with my charging.

Blues

Enlightened
Reviving an old thread, I know, but I happen to have an old Inova X5, (gotta be 10 years old or so), but when I checked earlier today (out of curiosity) I found that the KeepPower 16650 would not fit the tube.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a UV version of this light and will use only CR123a batteries.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting a protected cell in could be a futile endeavor. If you really want to run 1x16650 and are confident in your cell maintenance w/o a protection circuit, you could either purchase the bare cell used in the KeepPower, which I use, or skin the cell and remove the protection strip on the side and the circuit on the bottom, and re-wrap with packing tape, which should also be thinner than the shrink wrap.

Blues

Enlightened
Nah, it's not that big a deal. I'll just use up the 123's I've had on hand for a good while now. Thanks for the info, though.

Blues

Enlightened
Getting a protected cell in could be a futile endeavor. If you really want to run 1x16650 and are confident in your cell maintenance w/o a protection circuit, you could either purchase the bare cell used in the KeepPower, which I use, or skin the cell and remove the protection strip on the side and the circuit on the bottom, and re-wrap with packing tape, which should also be thinner than the shrink wrap.

Well, a bit of good luck. As it turns out, I got a couple of additional KeepPower 16650s in today from illumn.com and decided to see if either of them would fit the old X5. Wouldn't you know the first one I tried slipped right in. So, looks like I'll be able to use them after all. :cool:

Last edited:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few X5's and a T1. I didn't realize there was a 16650 battery. I need to get one and try it in my T1.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully it will work out for you.

Thank you. I like the Inova X5's. I have 4 or 5 of them(I forget, maybe 6?). I have 2 T1's(had 3 but gave one to a friend). Great little lights.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too like my x5, I actually think its one of the better designs out there, I wish someone would produce a technically update version, lensless stainless front is gorgeous, what would I want ? Well 18650 option and basic 3 mode operation keeping the twisty momentry switch. I find my x5 is underpowered and gets washed out easily by wet wether so a stronger 3rd mode option would be good imo.

Anyway keep dreaming eh......

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
its a used one, i cant justify the new prices where i am. i dont know which model it is either which is fun, so its either single mode 35lumen or 56 lumen or dual mode. we shal see.........

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive got it ! its def single mode, and appears a bit more focused than my dual mode, yet to put them side by side though

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive got it ! its def single mode, and appears a bit more focused than my dual mode, yet to put them side by side though

Nice. I am still looking for a red one. I need to check the "for sale" area.