White film inside Surefire Kroma-Milspec optic?

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I recently acquired a Kroma-Milspec, My first Surefire of this type with a selector ring.

I dig the red LEDs and appreciate the IR as well. Low mode white is nice, wish it was a tad more on high but no worries.

Anyways, there is a milky type film inside the TIR optic. Is this normal?

Here is a picture that shows it...

I wonder what Surefire would say if I sent it in.

And anyone still mod these guys for just the basic white led to be upgraded?

20160114_231743_zpsgfyxrglp.jpg

bigfoot

Enlightened
Just checked my Kroma MilSpec, bought new directly from SF a couple of years ago, and there is no film inside the optic here. Just a total wild guess, but maybe that's from an off-gassing of some sort (glue or epoxy, battery, etc.)?

And the newer Kroma MS versions have a white low of 11 lumens and a high mode of 130 lumens. Not sure when they made that running change, but probably 2-3 years ago.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks bigfoot,

I am pretty sure it may be the older spec one.

Going to ding some and determine what's up...

Looks like I may just call and send it in to Surefire.

Harold_B

Enlightened
Looks like someone didn't clean out the mold machine very well after a run of white material. Definitely contact SF.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the swirl pattern, it looks like the white stuff is mixed into the optic material which I assume is clear plastic like typical optics we see in throwers.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire says it's fine,

But couldn't quite explain it.

My OCD is getting the best of me here...

I don't think I have the proper tools to take the head apart myself. Guess I'll live with it.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a Surefire KROMA (non-milspec) and it happens to have a milky smudge inside it. It doesn't seem to affect the beam much. Has anyone here figured out how to get to it? Is the bezel stuck on tight with loctite or something?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Not an expert on the Kromas, but I do know something about adhesives; not seeing any photos, my first thought are those small white deposits that can occur near cyanoacrylate bond surfaces.

I know that SF /loves/ their black loctite however - it is immensely strong; back in the day, SF production was /very/ generous in its application. :-/ More current SF's exhibit much less of their bonding agent, luckily.

Edit: and thank you for adding to an existing older thread. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not an expert on the Kromas, but I do know something about adhesives; not seeing any photos, my first thought are those small white deposits that can occur near cyanoacrylate bond surfaces.

I know that SF /loves/ their black loctite however - it is immensely strong; back in the day, SF production was /very/ generous in its application. :-/ More current SF's exhibit much less of their bonding agent, luckily.

Edit: and thank you for adding to an existing older thread. :thumbsup:
Here are some photos, taken with an adjusted shutter speed to capture more detail--not sure if this pattern is on an inner surface or embedded in the glass:

Surefire-Kroma-milky.jpg

Doesn't look to me like something that would happen during ownership. The pattern almost suggests milky water that ran and then dried up, but the light is water-tight.

Other LEDs are functioning as well (low mode shown):
Surefire-Kroma-color-low.jpg

Last edited: