*NEW* Fenix RC09 Titanium

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
Look at the new light from Fenix. RC09Ti (titanium version). I think that answers the question of some, if can Fenix still innovate design? :) But I am sure a lot of will be disapointed again, cause no true "moonlight" mode.

201611516584294588.jpg

201611516584782493.jpg

201611516584771364.jpg

201611516590211083.jpg

201611516584698517.jpg

201611516585112921.jpg

201611516585661459.jpg

201611516585773343.jpg

201611516590926904.jpg

201611516590955481.jpg

201611516591440978.jpg

201611516591674459.jpg

coolriku

Newly Enlightened
you're not allowed to linking original images, this result in more trafic for fenix.
upload the pictures to a image hosting site and embed those.

OT: Nice light, looks like a S1 killer.

Marfenix

Newly Enlightened
you're not allowed to linking original images, this result in more trafic for fenix.
upload the pictures to a image hosting site and embed those.

OT: Nice light, looks like a S1 killer.

The only reason this light is a S1 killer for me is that I cannot order an Olight S1 polished titanium in The Netherlands.

d88

Newly Enlightened
The only reason this light is a S1 killer for me is that I cannot order an Olight S1 polished titanium in The Netherlands.

Not sure about the rest of Europe, but there is reputable dealer in the UK who has the S1 in polished titanium. Downside is that it's very expensive - UK £89.95. I don't want to break any house rules regarding direct links to dealers, so if you're interested you can PM me and I can give you the link.

As for the Fenix, really nice looking light and as a bonus it has the magnetic charging system. Hopefully it will land in Europe at a reasonable price point.

Marfenix

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about the rest of Europe, but there is reputable dealer in the UK who has the S1 in polished titanium. Downside is that it's very expensive - UK £89.95. I don't want to break any house rules regarding direct links to dealers, so if you're interested you can PM me and I can give you the link.

As for the Fenix, really nice looking light and as a bonus it has the magnetic charging system. Hopefully it will land in Europe at a reasonable price point.

Thank you for your reply, I think I know the website you are referring to. I know we always pay more in Europe for imported products, I would have no problems paying more as long as I can get it at the dealer that I trust.

Marfenix

Newly Enlightened
The fact that Fenix does not make flashlights with moonlight mode is the reason that all my EDC lights are from Olight now.

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
I really like it, except for it being rechargeable. Though the charging connector seems more durable than the typical micro USB port covered by a rubber flap, you now need to carry the proprietary cable to charge it.

redtruck

Newly Enlightened
Weird looking cord, but that titanium looks nice. Not sure I would pick it over the Olight though.

ven

Flashaholic
Looks nice other than the charge port, kind of catches the eye...........in a bad way. Would have liked an 18350 version and closer to 1000lm:D

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love almost everything about this light. Love the look, love that they went with XPL HI, I'm okay with it not having moonlight, don't mind the proprietary charging system but of course would have preferred microusb.

What's probably a deal-killer for me, as with many lights, is the UI. .5s to turn on just rules it out. I guess many people just turn on their light once, use it for some extended time, then turn it off. I use my light that way sometimes, and a .5s delay turn-on time would be merely mildly irritating there. But I often find myself turning the light on and off over the course of a task, and for that, .5s delay every single time is a non-starter for me. Ah well.

manitoe

Newly Enlightened
The fact that Fenix does not make flashlights with moonlight mode is the reason that all my EDC lights are from Olight now.

I agree, haven't bought a Fenix light in years because of the lack of a moonlight mode. When will they learn?

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I agree, haven't bought a Fenix light in years because of the lack of a moonlight mode. When will they learn?

I agree fully! This light looks like an attempt from Fenix to compete with the Olight S1 Titanium. By judging from the length, this light more resembles to an Olight S10. It looks nice, but then again it has no moonlight mode,and from off it does not have a shortcut to the lowest mode(or missing moonlight mode) or the turbo mode. It looks like the last used mode is memorized and that the light will start from it.

The only credit i give to this light is that it is rechargeable, while the S1 Ti is not and that a S10R Titanium does not exist.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do like that Fenix has added the magnetic (Klarus) charging.

I imagine the basic tradeoffs here are:
magnetic charging is waterproof without a delicate rubber seal, but requires a proprietary charging cable.
Microusb charging gives you a standard charging cable but requires a rubber seal. Based on reports of Fenix's rubber seals possibly disintegrating on their lanterns, this can be a weakspot.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
While being a fan of and owning many Fenix lights (and thereby not simply trashing a company that produces many great products), as an aeronautical engineer with 25 years experience in the industry, I can say with certainly that Ta4 titanium alloy rod/bar is NOT "aircraft-grade titanium alloy".

Still good stuff to be sure, but mechanical properties and allowables are not available in the industry standard MIL-HDBK-5 (Military Handbook - Metallic materials and Elements for Aerospace Vehicle Structures), and therefore not suitable for aircraft structure (aka "aircraft-grade" material).

For whatever it's worth.

Cheers,
John C.

1DaveN

Enlightened
In my opinion, press and hold is a trade-off some people will prefer - the RC09 is almost an inch shorter than the PD25, and that surely matters to a lot of people. Personally, I chose the PD25 (which I really, really like) because of the tail switch. I use momentary all the time, and really miss it on my E25 and other lights that don't have it. But, it's 9/10 of an inch longer than this light.

I know moonlight is an immensely popular feature. I find that the 5-lumen low on the PD25 (same as the RC09) is at least as low as I need. In fact, I often kick it up to medium, even in the house. Five lumens is probably too bright in certain circumstances, but not the ones I encounter, and I wonder how many people would still think 5 lumens is too bright if they actually tried this light.

Compared to the PD25, this light gets you Ti, the 16340 battery, and the ability to recharge in the light - all great things, and it seems like a good value. As a true believer in the CR123A form factor, I'd almost surely buy one if not for the lack of a momentary switch. If they come out with an aluminum one at a lower price point, I may get it anyway.

coolriku

Newly Enlightened
Last edited: