Remote control tailcap

nuggett

Enlightened
I am interested in a Surefire 9p tailcap that contains a bluetooth module to remote control the light,on-off. Anybody who could attempt this?
And while your here!.....another tailcap to act as backup power for my cell phone with mini usb?

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
okay, it sounds interesting. A quick check shows most small bluetooth modules are meant for Arduino systems, meaning they need 'brains' to work. There's got to be a smaller module out there, I have one in my LCD speedometer on my bicycle, so it is wireless between the display and the wheel sensor.

At the minimum, you'd need a completely new tailcap housing. Not much room at all in an existing Z41 tailcap.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the challenges in a tailcap is that you don't have access to the + side of the battery, so there's no power to run your electronics.

I have managed to overcome this problem, but only for a circuit that draws a minuscule amount of power. Nowhere near enough to run an arduino or most BT devices. To run those, you're going to have to bring the + side of the battery back to the tailcap, or have a separate battery in the tailcap to run the electronics.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
A CR1620 is 75 mAH or so, so for 12 hours could put out 6 mA. I think the new low-power BT may be able to run that low, but not an arduino. There are processors that will run that low, but you would probably have to do some of your own design work, unless you can find an off the shelf module that will run that low.

nuggett

Enlightened
Scott,

Thanks for the note. It will probably work, but our Android app has not been maintained well due to lack of funding. Just letting you know.

Thanks,

Team Tethercell