Armytek Dobermann (XP-L HI) review, anyone? Where are reviews on Armytek lights?

D6859

Enlightened
I couldn't find any good review on Armytek Dobermann using advanced search or Google. I'm especially interested in XP-L HI version. Does anyone know a detailed review on this flashlight?

I read through the thread started by Armytek on Dobermann but it left some questions unanswered. There has been different versions of Dobermann and I'm wondering if there's different versions of XP-L HI model too. There's some contradiction between the information on Armytek's site and what they write in the thread (e.g. high temperature indication). I wonder if I will be able to disable/enable the strobe too.

I haven't been able to find reviews on other Armytek models (including Predator v3, Viking v3 etc.) either after 2013. Why haven't Armytek's lights been reviewed?

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I'd wait for a newer version to come out. I haven't had any luck with the hi versions, returned a doberman and baracuda hi because of malfunctions. Other people have stories too on the at forum on this site.

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
Just placed an order on a PP LE XP-L Hi. Hope it's not a widespread problem and it was just on the first batches. Very surprised I do not see more reviews of these lights in here.

D6859

Enlightened
I'd wait for a newer version to come out. I haven't had any luck with the hi versions, returned a doberman and baracuda hi because of malfunctions. Other people have stories too on the at forum on this site.

What was the malfunction you had in Dobermann?

I could always order and return it in 2 weeks if I'm not satisfied. I just wouldn't like to waste two trips to post office if I got a bad batch. So I wonder if there's many different batches of XP-L HI model too. I'm asking this because there's a Finnish company that's selling it with a discount that seems to be the best offer I can get in EU.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
my DP HI functions perfectly. Had it months now. It throws like crazy. Ive got the ET T25C2 HI and the DP HI smokes it. It has a hexagonal beam profile due to the tall bezel which takes a bit of getting used to. As far as I know there is only one DP HI could be wrong. I have never seen another light the DP HI's size throw like it does.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
What was the malfunction you had in dobermann?

Flickering and couldn't disable strobe. Also just didn't seem that bright and throwy compared to my other lights in similar size. Bored surefire 6p with vinh modules filled that void. Similar size, much better options

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
true. I follow all Armytek threads here and on other light forums. It seems that AT has next to no quality control. I also have the PP LE HI which also works perfectly I consider myself very fortunate. AT has said they test their lights before they leave the factory which just cannot be true Ive read report after report of the new gen AT's malfunctioning right out of the box. Fortunately I have no issues disabling strobe and firefly 1 and enabling them again on my copies. I just ordered the Viking Pro so we will see if I can go 3 for 3 properly functioning new gen AT's. OP if you are unsure about AT quality I dont blame you. The ET T25C2 HI is a hell of a runner up....

D6859

Enlightened
I've had AT Partner that worked well, but started to malfunction when I dropped it. The warranty covered it fortunately. My PP v2.5 works ok. No problems with my Tiara pro or Wizard pro either. So I guess I've been "lucky" 4/4 of the time. Maybe I'll try DP too.

shrike2222

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
I just might pick up this little powerhouse to go along with my PP. I am impressed by this company. I really like the fit and finish of these lights!!

D6859

Enlightened
I just might pick up this little powerhouse to go along with my PP. I am impressed by this company. I really like the fit and finish of these lights!!

I've had the flashlight in my shopping cart whole evening but I haven't hit the order button yet.

I ordered protected NCR18650B batteries for it from AliExpress already. But as I read the PP thread you've started, I began wondering if it needed unprotected. Could the current draw be to much for the protection circuit? I've tested same batteries in my PP v2.5 and Wizard etc., and they've worked just fine.

Edit. Just hit the order button for the flashlight too!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive read conflicting reports on how many amps the Pro and HI lights draw Ive read 2 amps and Ive read 4 amps. To be safe I use 3500mah 10amp GA's in my AT's exclusively. Im sure your 3400's should do just fine though. Since this is a Dobermann HI thread here is a basement white wall beam shot of the light

IMG_00551_zpspogyxq5p.jpg

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
Ive read conflicting reports on how many amps the Pro and HI lights draw Ive read 2 amps and Ive read 4 amps. To be safe I use 3500mah 10amp GA's in my AT's exclusively. Im sure your 3400's should do just fine though. Since this is a Dobermann HI thread here is a basement white wall beam shot of the light

IMG_00551_zpspogyxq5p.jpg
Love the range of these lights. I went ahead and ordered the DP.

D6859

Enlightened
Thanks for the pic CelticCross74!

I'm afraid one of the biggest drawbacks of this light is the narrow 40 degree spill as in my PP v2.5. I noticed last fall it's not safe for your eyes to walk with the light in thick forrest. I think it makes a great combination with a headlamp though. On the other hand, you won't blind your company with the spill so easily.

D6859

Enlightened
Heh, I think I ordered the last DP they had. I got an email that my packet is sent and now I noticed DP's are out of stock. Of course, due to this now they put Predator Pro on sale on same price. Well, if I'm not satisfied with DP, I can ask them to send me PP :p