Request: High CRI master list of flashlights

Raccoon

Enlightened
Dear CPF,

I'm hoping I might enlist someone to create and maintain a master list of flashlights and links to their reviews, specifically for lights with a high CRI (color rendering index).

What, in my opinion, is the most frustrating and troubling aspect of this hobby, is the utter lack of attention or demand for lights with emitter quality specifications beyond that of simple flux output. Indeed, the lumen value is the large number emblazoned on all product packaging and advertising, so a quality emitter with a high CRI (that naturally outputs a lower luminosity in exchange for greater "color pop") is hardly ever used in any flashlight except on the far fringes of our hobby. Even in $500 lights.

After having bought a flashlight with high color rendering (and a warmer temperature), I have completely sworn off all other lights, even just giving them away. I would like to find more lights, and help promote CRI as a primary product specification. With a master list of fame and shame for light products based on color performance, I hope we can better inform the world and compel more makers to use these emitters.

What High CRI lights do you own?

Edit: Please also include a link to the page you purchased from, and its spec sheet. It's hard tracking down lights that are modified with special edition emitters. Include the emitter/bin used, if you can.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Any McGizmo with the 083B or 119v emitter. Any incan. I think you'll get plenty of responses, but may have volunteered yourself to make the master list... :)

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of right now the only hi-cri light I own is a HDS (Ra) Twisty Hi-cri.
Beautiful color just wish I could put a larger battery than a cr123:candle:.
I still miss my first Mcgizmo and hi-cri light, a Sundrop.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dear CPF,

I'm hoping I might enlist someone to create and maintain a master list of flashlights and links to their reviews, specifically for lights with a high CRI (color rendering index).

What, in my opinion, is the most frustrating and troubling aspect of this hobby, is the utter lack of attention or demand for lights with emitter quality specifications beyond that of simple flux output. Indeed, the lumen value is the large number emblazoned on all product packaging and advertising, so a quality emitter with a high CRI (that naturally outputs a lower luminosity in exchange for greater "color pop") is hardly ever used in any flashlight except on the far fringes of our hobby. Even in $500 lights.

After having bought a flashlight with high color rendering (and a warmer temperature), I have completely sworn off all other lights, even just giving them away. I would like to find more lights, and help promote CRI as a primary product specification. With a master list of fame and shame for light products based on color performance, I hope we can better inform the world and compel more makers to use these emitters.

Great idea!!

Be sure to post it for us to use as a resource.

Maybe it'll become a sticky.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only two high-CRI flashlights currently in my stable both use Nichia 219B emitters.

L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219B
4500K, 92 CRI
4 modes: 0.09, 3, 30, and 140 lumens
1xAA

BLF-348
5000K, 90 CRI
1 mode: 48 lumens (on Eneloop)
1xAAA or 1x10440

CPF member JFong and I tested the color rendering capabilities of these two flashlights against a variety of other cool- and neutral-white lights, including my ZebraLight SC62w. We were looking at color rendering only, not output. The results were lopsided in favor of the high-CRI lights. It was not close.

As a result, I have decided to acquire a multi-emitter 219B light in the near future. Multiple emitters, because I don't want to sacrifice medium-to-high output. High CRI, because I can easily see the difference it makes. I might not notice a couple of hundred extra lumens, but I cannot fail to see what neutral tint and high CRI produces.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this counts, since it is not a complete flashlight (and is no longer in production), but there was the Malkoff M61 HCRI.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Eagletac titanium D25C clicky with Nichia 219b. Tiny. Beautiful. Inexpensive. Pretty darn bright. HI CRI.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I wish and want more so than high CRI is just lights whose emitters are measured very close to the ideal black body radiation line without much tint shift. Emitters like the XML2 easy white as found in the Zebralight H600F and the Nichia 219B as found in many lights, are both very good when it comes to having tints that sit very closely to that ideal curve.

There are lot of disgusting tint shifts out there, with radical departures to the green or magenta side.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Zebralight H502c L2, it claims a CRI of 85 typical, and it is noticably better than cool white cree lights.
I will edit in some more info later.

Raccoon

Enlightened
What is considered high CRI today?

Hard to answer, given that the most easily available/affordable high CRI emitters also dip down in apparent color temperature. For an 80+ CRI Cree XP-L, the temp drops below 4000K. 90+ below 3000K which may be unfavorably yellow to some, and only 70% the maximum attainable brightness (lumens). Yet art galleries willing to spend more money on their LED lamps can attain 90+ values with typical "daylight" temps.

I wish I knew what all the available high performance, high color rendering, emitters are on the market today. So far there's a nice sampling of lights people have mentioned. I need to start looking up specs next.

Keep them coming!

Last edited:

Raccoon

Enlightened
Bought my first HiCRI light a few weeks ago. It's a HDS Executive HiCRI 200.

As of right now the only hi-cri light I own is a HDS (Ra) Twisty Hi-cri.
Beautiful color just wish I could put a larger battery than a cr123:candle:.
I still miss my first Mcgizmo and hi-cri light, a Sundrop.

Where did you guys buy your HDS lights, and what exact numerical model and emitter and specifications on the emitter?

http://www.batterystation.com/hdsindex.htm