• Fenix PD35 TAC

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Nitecore P12GT

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

BigHutch

Newly Enlightened
Fenix PD35 TAC VS Nitecore P12GT

Which would you prefer for carry/security? Most reliable?

BigHutch

Newly Enlightened
Well, this didn't go as expected!

Am I thinking wrong brand here? Should I be looking at Surefire's for life and death situations? I have 3 Surefires already.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted P12GT just because it is thermally regulated and has a very well done beam profile for a thrower. That being said I feel the TAC is tougher.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the Fenix PD35 TAC is unacceptable as a defensive/tactical light. If I understand the UI right -- and please correct me if I"m wrong! -- when in "tactical mode" or whatever Fenix calls it, each press of the tailswitch changes modes. No one I've ever trained under would find that acceptable. Momentary-light-and-move is a pretty standard doctrine, and if the light modes progress while doing so ... like I said, I don't consider it even in the running for a tactical.

P12GT seems usable ... if I understand it right, pressing the tailcap switch in momentary mode does not progress the modes. However, P12GT does have momentary, which means you will always have to remember to make sure that turbo is your last-used-mode. Don't want to turn the light on and it comes on in moonlight. Also, make sure you don't get one with a delay in the switch... for me, even a small switch delay would also make the light unacceptable.

Something like the ET DX30LC2 seems to me to be a better choice than the above. Like the two above, it's got an XPL HI and plenty of candlepower. But the interface ALWAYS comes on in high, no mode memory. Exactly what you want, IMO.

If Klarus took the XT2C, put an XPL HI in it and hiked the lumens to be competitive with these others (i.e., 900-1000-ish lumens), it would be my top choice. I'm trying to sweet-talk them into it, over on their forum :)

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P12GT has an annoying delay between the time when the switch is activated and when the LED fires. That makes it unacceptable, to me, for serious usage.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P12GT has an annoying delay between the time when the switch is activated and when the LED fires. That makes it unacceptable, to me, for serious usage.

Completely agree.. although I thought we figured out that the switch delay was a bug in some early lights, but most people got lights without a delay? But otherwise, totally with you, not acceptable.

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
For me, the Fenix PD35 TAC is unacceptable as a defensive/tactical light. If I understand the UI right -- and please correct me if I"m wrong! -- when in "tactical mode" or whatever Fenix calls it, each press of the tailswitch changes modes. No one I've ever trained under would find that acceptable. Momentary-light-and-move is a pretty standard doctrine, and if the light modes progress while doing so ... like I said, I don't consider it even in the running for a tactical.

In tactical mode, to switch modes you need to quickly press the tail switch repeatedly to cycle through turbo, strobe, and low. But if not done quickly, every time you press the button (either half press or full press) it comes on in turbo mode. There still is a possibility a person could end up in another mode unintentionally though. I'm not a big fan of the tactical mode, but maybe it works for some people.

But you can also put the like in outdoor mode, in which case it would work no differently than the P12GT, where the side switch selects the mode which is remembered - then the tail switch can be used to switch the light on, off, or momentary.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
In tactical mode, to switch modes you need to quickly press the tail switch repeatedly to cycle through turbo, strobe, and low. But if not done quickly, every time you press the button (either half press or full press) it comes on in turbo mode. There still is a possibility a person could end up in another mode unintentionally though. I'm not a big fan of the tactical mode, but maybe it works for some people.

But you can also put the like in outdoor mode, in which case it would work no differently than the P12GT, where the side switch selects the mode which is remembered - then the tail switch can be used to switch the light on, off, or momentary.

Oh! Thanks for the correction. Ironic that "tactical mode" is the one I'm questioning for tactical use. But I just watched a video, am I right in thinking that if I keep the light in momentary mode (no full clicks), it will just always come on in high, no matter how quickly I use momentary to turn on and off the light? And only a full double click gets to strobe? That doesn't sound as bad as I thought it was. Maybe the only further concern is if I"ve double clicked into strobe, and want to go back to turbo, I have to double click past low then double click again, and that's lots of little clicks under a lot of potential stress. Ah well.

But anyway, if in outdoor mode, the tailswitch only controls on/off, and if in addition the thing has memory so I can pre-set the light so I"ll know it will turn on in turbo (exercise for the reader whether to accept the risk that you'll forget to do so), it can work...

Last edited:

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
I picked a P12GT, although not for pocket carry. I don't have a PD35, but I do have another Fenix light. Tactical mode is most definitely not tactical.

My P12GT does have a delay between pressing the switch and the light coming on. But, the only way I can perceive the delay is if I am purposefully looking for it. In actual use, the delay is imperceptible.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ thanks for the above comments regarding what tactical even means.

The ultimate tac light is a single mode only with momentary (read silent) switch that has a virtually silent clicky in case you accidently push too hard.

I prefer the twist on for that reason. That and it's reliabilty.

Now, for brands I said Malkoff because they are the best value going right now in terms of solid build, versatile fuel, upgradability and flat out reliability. All for just a little more than many much less quality lights or less than several others.
And the arguably best ever made tac switch...the SureFire Z41 or Z72 bolt onto the Malkoff body like wet goes with water.

But if I had no choice but the pair in the poll I'd go with the more reliable brand...fenix and learn how to adapt my tactics to the light.

Last edited:

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
No, sadly it will cycle through modes by either quick full presses or quick momentary presses of the switch. But if you release it (either from fully engaged or momentary) and wait a little over a second, it will always start again in turbo. It really is an odd UI that takes some experimentation to understand. The manual doesn't do a good job explaining either.

Oh! Thanks for the correction. Ironic that "tactical mode" is the one I'm questioning for tactical use. But I just watched a video, am I right in thinking that if I keep the light in momentary mode (no full clicks), it will just always come on in high, no matter how quickly I use momentary to turn on and off the light? And only a full double click gets to strobe? That doesn't sound as bad as I thought it was. Maybe the only further concern is if I"ve double clicked into strobe, and want to go back to turbo, I have to double click past low then double click again, and that's lots of little clicks under a lot of potential stress. Ah well.

But anyway, if in outdoor mode, the tailswitch only controls on/off, and if in addition the thing has memory so I can pre-set the light so I"ll know it will turn on in turbo (exercise for the reader whether to accept the risk that you'll forget to do so), it can work...

BigHutch

Newly Enlightened
Good info, thanks! I may upgrade my G2 with a Malkoff head; either that or get a Surefire E2D.

el soluna

Newly Enlightened
Hey I've seen reviews and comments saying the P12GT delay issue was gone. Was it a first-batch issue?
In an EDC point of view I think the PD35 TAC is above but on the tactical side? I don't know, not a fan. Maybe Joe's right. The UI matters.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have thought the standard pd35 would be better, the rear switch is just on off. Thats it. Mode is by side switch which you dont have to touch ?

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't NOT buy the PD35TAC just because of the "tactical mode"; you can easily switch it to "outdoor mode" and then it works just like a standard PD35 (or P12, P12GT, etc).

I have both a P12 (not GT) and PD35TAC. I like them both, but given the choice of only one, I'd keep the PD35TAC. I am interested in the P12GT, though I don't think it would be better than the PD35TAC, just slightly different in features. Really I think either would be great lights for your needs.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, sadly it will cycle through modes by either quick full presses or quick momentary presses of the switch. But if you release it (either from fully engaged or momentary) and wait a little over a second, it will always start again in turbo. It really is an odd UI that takes some experimentation to understand. The manual doesn't do a good job explaining either.

Great googly moogly. IF you're a flashlight manufacturer building such lights, why not send one employee to take some actual training, at least once?

Greyhelm

Newly Enlightened
Just got them both to compare. Prefer the slightly cooler light temp of the fenix to blast.