S1- like it?

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Am I the only one less than thrilled with my S1?
Not bad mouthing it or Olight at all...
Just doesn't thrill me.

Carried my S10 for over 2 years, completely happy, despite the greenish tint.
But this S1, I find myself not using it. When I need a light more than a second, I dig out my bag light Fenix PD32UE.

CAN'T put my finger on the WHY though.
If I hadn't given my S10 to my 12 year old, I'd just use that one.

:(

JD

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Well I do enjoy the S2, so I've been contemplating ordering the S1 as well.. Although I will likely do away with the bulky pocket clip.

Haroldlutsen

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion it is too small to use comfortably and the button is a little harder to operate than necessary. Cool light I bought one to replace my sc52 but after a couple days I couldn't get used to it and went back to the zebralight. I do like the magnetic base though. I don't hate it but I just don't like it

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one and sold it soon after. Luckily its extremely popular and was easy to sell. I'm not a fan of the single electronic switch type of lights and I thought the switch was kind of hard to press like Haoldlutsen mentioned. I will say, I did like that floody even beam pattern though. Now if it had a switch press that is like the Fenix HL50 headlamp (my only other single switch pwr/mode select light)......I may have kept it. But again, I'm not too fond of lights that have a parasitic drain and no momentary activation capability.

Last edited:

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
I love my S1 OP. I picked up the raw copper version. Such a bright well made tiny little light with a beautiful smooth beam.
9a7e3e6190dac2b91f1929fe8764ffab.jpg

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great little light.

I used to carry a Led Lenser F1, mainly due to the small size and the 400 lumens. The tail switch was OK for use, but awkward to operate.

The S1 I purchased for edc is the polished titanium version as having it in a pants pocket, it's probably going to get scratched up. The side switch requiring a press and hold, isn't a favorite, but I've had no accidental activation's in my pocket. Having 500 lumens in a small package of evenly spread light in a nice feature. For my use, I reversed the clip so that I carry bezel down. No lint build up that way.

The magnet in the tail comes in handy. So far in a little more than a month of intermittent use, the supplied battery is doing fine.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one and sold it soon after. Luckily its extremely popular and was easy to sell. I'm not a fan of the single electronic switch type of lights and I thought the switch was kind of hard to press like Haoldlutsen mentioned. I will say, I did like that floody even beam pattern though. Now if it had a switch press that is like the Fenix HL50 headlamp (my only other single switch pwr/mode select light)......I may have kept it. But again, I'm not too fond of lights that have a parasitic drain and no momentary activation capability.

I guess, you are mixing something. In a review over here S1 drain was evaluated like 1.2μA, so, left alone, your battery will deteriorate sooner than the S1 sucks all its juice :) :

• Standby current: Being a flashlight without mechanical switch, the S1 Baton is virtually always on, even when not emit light. In off state, the circuit requires a small current to keep the system latency, which is always "listening" for any sign coming from the digital switch. This current, after my own measurements, it is one of the lowest I've seen, only 1.2uA (with a 4.2V RCR). This means that a forgotten S1 with the battery installed only consume about 10mAh a year, so you could say it is a completely worthless consumption, since the battery would degrade by nature before the current standby this flashlight to consume 10% of their rated capacity.

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can confirm the standby draw being ~1.5μA with both RCR and CR. Amps draw at high with RCR 16340 is just 1.3A yet it produces a large bright hotspot perfect for indoor or close up use. mine is the raw copper version from goinggear and it is awesome.

jVdHInK.png

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me using S1 Ti polished and absolutely love it. But not its clip :)

The only minor moment (oh, my perfectionism...) -- the hot spot is not a circle. If you rotate it around its axis, you immediately notice a square-ish artifact -- a lense projects the emitting diode form with 4 beams in the corners :)

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, the S1 is a grand slam for Olight. Tiny enough to disappear when carrying it, and I still appear to have the dexterity and spryness (and small hands) necessarily to find it very comfortable to use. The performance is amazing, the UI is awesome (although I have the original mode memory UI). Awesome!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone who doesn't like their S1 I'll clean it out of your rotation for 15 dollars. :) I love mine, it's been great so far!

rodney1968

Newly Enlightened
mine is costing me money, I liked my cooper s1 so good I bought a s15, and now have a s2 ordered.
I want the brass and titanium version too. but my wife don't understand.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
If the s2 had the instant on off of the s1....that'd be great.

I currently own the S2 but not the S1... Can you clarify what the difference is between them in reference to this "instant on/off"?

andrewnewman

Enlightened
I personally think the S1 is a great light. It's not for everyone or every use, however. I wouldn't take it camping or hiking (not enough throw). It's great as a small EDC, however. I take mine everywhere I go. I have a copper one and it is a bit heavy but the style is worth it. One button UI is nearly flawless IMO. Having a default setting of "medium" (my preference) as well as instant access to moonlight is awesome. I'm not sure how you could add a momentary function without losing *that* feature with one button and I prefer access to moonlight personally. If I were to improve it, I would:

1. Add back the S10s button lockout (no tail lockout with the copper) and remove the decision to not memorize "hi".

2. Have a moderately conservative (~25% remaining capacity) step down to low. (I'm sure others would hate this feature but it works for me).

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Darnit fellas.. I've been telling myself I was going to take a break from flashlight purchasing (I'm fairly new to this last couple years), and now reading the positive feedback about a light that had already interested me - well it's going to push me over the edge to make an impulse buy... I'll need to purchase some RCR123's as well since I don't own any of those....

I think perhaps I should buy this light because I don't yet have any with this battery-type compatibility - yeah that's a good reason!

KOwN3rk.gif

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
wolfgaze,

Well worth purchasing. If Olight stick to the original statement that they are only building 5000 of each configuration, then time is of the essence.

I've got the polished titanium, Rose Gold Copper and the raw copper. I've no interest in the aluminum version as it's going to show wear. Since Going Gear is the only company selling the brass versions, I'm going to have to purchase one of those also.

I've got one of the Firefly titanium lights coming and the Atlas C57, so after the additional S1 purchases, I'm close to finished with smallish lights.

Next up is the Lemax XL70 Superpower.