How to guide for first build?

tbolts10

Newly Enlightened
So basically I'd like to put together my own LED light. I like the idea of a convoy host and want 18650 battery but idk where to go from there. Is there any how to guides floating around as far as what else I would need and how to put it together? Thanks in advance!

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the better guides aren't found on this forum. There are custom builders here but they kinda congregate elsewhere. I'll try to give you a few ideas though

1. You can get everything you need, excepting maybe a few tools, from mtnelectronics.com.

2. Pick your host first. Mtnelectronics has several to choose from, or go elsewhere if you know what you want.

3. Once you've picked your host you'll know what size parts to get. Pick an emitter and buy it already mounted on an mcpcb of the appropriate size, at least for your first build. Soldering emitters to boards isn't hard, but its also not necessary most of the time.

4. Once you've got your emitter(s) chosen, find a driver that does what your emitter needs it to do and that fits your host.

5. Don't forget the little stuff, like spacers, alignment rings, maybe wiring if you need it. Thermal paste will be necessary, kapton tape may be.

6. Then it's just assembly. Just solder it all together, really, assuming you've bought stuff that's ready to drop into your host.

This was a very brief overview. Any questions just ask.

tbolts10

Newly Enlightened
Awesome info, I appreciate it! I guess my questions now are basically how do I know which emitter and mcpcb will work with the host I choose, and which driver as well. I'm pretty sure I can figure out the assembly part once everything arrives as I'm decently handy, I just want to make sure I order all the right stuff.

light-modder

Enlightened
Most of the websites will tell you what size mcpcb and what size driver you need. Typical for mcpcb is 16/20 mm and for driver 17mm. This is especially true with the convoy hosts. I know mtnelectronics lists the sizes of mcpcb and driver for each host. It's a really great place for the DIYer.