Thermal paste & adhesives

Exeter354

Enlightened
I've tried to search, but I can't seem to find exactly the info I need. I'm building a pretty standard LE...I have a copper heatsink, I have a pretty standard triple LED on MCPCB and a pretty standard driver. I want to be able to remove the electronics and re-use the heatsink if I ever decide to upgrade. At that point, I'm not so much concerned about the parts being destroyed in the process, however, I'd prefer that not to happen if possible and to be able to remove the LED and driver without too much drama. But I certainly don't want them to fall off the heatsink either.

So, having said all that...what would you use to mount the LED and driver to the heatsink? And would you use the same thing for both LED board and driver board? Any recommendations on compounds?

Thanks very much!

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can someone please give me a short education in thermal paste & adhesives?

For those who may be curious (I am, E 354, what did you end up using?), here's what I have found works well for both my computer mods as well as torches.

The adhesive I like is the Arctic Silver, #AATA-5G

For non-critical, or where I feel I may need to remove, I use the Antec Nano Diamond thermal grease

Exeter354

Enlightened

I just went with Fujik Heatsink Compound. Seems like it will provide enough adhesion with removability. If I was going the permanent route, I'd probably have used the Arctic Silver instead.

mahoney

Enlightened

It's pretty easy to heat a heatsink up enough with a heat gun to loosen the bond of Arctic Silver epoxy. LEDs or electronics may not survive though...YMMV